Virus on computer? chrome keeps opening new tabs????

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Ok so this isn't new to me, I have had this happen a few times, but managed to fix it, but this time it wont fix and is driving me nuts, every so often chrome will open some sort of dodgy page like.. HOW TO EARN MONEY HOW TO EARN THOUSANDS IN HOURS... and one of the websites is some sort of windows support microsoft scam that pops up alerting there' s virus on my computer.. and call this number to remove.. the link is https://storage.googleapis.com, (I wouldn't advise to go on it).. and some other things that pop up now and then, cannot remember...

basically I have tried the obvious to fix it... this includes the following

Removed any unwanted programs

Scanned with adwcleaner

Scanned with malwarebytes

Scanned with my main anti virus McAfee...

removed anything that came up in that search... and yet it doesn't do anything.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
I would scan with one more program. Download Spybot version 1.6.2 and run that. Spybot is a very underrated program that is extremely effective in situations like these.

One thing I would check as well is the startup programs. You can find these by clicking start, typing in msconfig and press enter and hit the startup tab. Uncheck all the programs that don't need to be in there. If within that list you see an entry that looks odd, investigate it and it might be your virus, from there you can know where it is.

Also, can you open your task manager and take a snapshot of all the programs running? Might be able to find it that way.

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
OK.. well, I took a look into the MSCONFIG, but nothing seems suspicious.. also in task manager, everything seems normal, sure Ill try spy bot, but the thing is.... tried with 3 programs so far that are rated to be good... so unsure if spy bot will do any better..... its an odd issue.. that happened to me before.. but got rid of it by taking off unwanted programs and running a virus scan...

also malwarebytes... is coming up now and then that it blocked a website from opening.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
You definitely have an infection somewhere. I know you have tried others, but Spybot has a more updated library than most. If you open Control Panel and view your programs, do you see anything suspicious in there?

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
well I did try spy bot before I tried spybot it appears I am getting less pop ups, but they still happen something called the Brit method... keeps coming up now and then malwarebytes sometimes says website has been blocked. .. so this is crazy, 4 scans with 4 programs, and still not 100% gone... i've looked in my program a few times but noting I do not know... everything on it is stuff I know.... I have not got the Microsoft virus scam... pop up again.. not happened all day today.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
At this point, I think you need someone who knows more about this to have a look at it. I don't recommend taking it to Best Buy or anything like that, but I understand how some choices can be limited. If you want, I can have a remote look at it some time.

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
think its gone now, found something on the internet, about making a new google chrome user, then deleted the old one.. and so far nothing has popped up.

zer0c00l587

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Spybot is ok but not the best, i'd try malwarebytes antimalware, and adware cleaner that can help remove solve issue with the browser. If you dont have malwarebytes i recommend it. There is is a free version just without online monitoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.