Ran 200' Cat5e and getting very low download speeds, but correct upload. What could be the issue?

Rasta1

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Looking for any help or insight with an issue I'm having with a CAT5E cable I recently ran to have hardwired internet in guest home from main house.

I've been having a NetGear N300 Cable Modem/Router with a patch cable that goes directly to my PC. My PC gets 150-180 Mbps download and 22+/- Mbps Upload. I recently ran less than 200 feet of Cat5e through conduit so I can have hardwired internet in the guest home. It is also plugged directly into the N300 modem/router. The problem is I am getting very low download speeds of 15-25 Mbps on my new line I ran, but the upload speeds are roughly the same on my PC in main home and laptop on new wire in guest home.

I have replaced the connectors on each end and that doesn't seem to have been the problem. I'm very confused that I am getting the same upload speeds, but the download is way off. Any help of how to figure the problem or a solution would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rasta1

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Thanks for the quick reply and I will check out that link.

The only thing that gets me though is that from what I understand Cat5e can be ran up to 328 feet and the fact that the upload is spot on whether testing on my PC in main home or Laptop in guest home, but the download is 20 Mbps compared to 150+ Mbps. That's what really confuses me that the upload is fine, but the download is another story.

Be very sure you have copper cable the copper clad aluminum is not certified cable and has all kinds of issue especially at longer lengths.

You should have no issue at 100meters. It is likely a poorly terminated cable but unless you have a extremely expensive meter you can not detect a connector that is connected but not good enough to pass data.

Almost all the data in that post are garbage. The only source that counts is the TIA/EIA specifications and this is not related to comptia in anyway. You can run 100 meters on any cat5e or better cable at gig speeds. There is no standard for any more distance and the 75meter statement is just outright wrong. The only newer limit is for 10g on cat6 cable but that did not exist back in 2006 when that post was written.

All you can really do is try to terminate the ends of the cable again and hope. Maybe someone will let you borrow a fluke meter to test it but they are expensive so it would have to be a good friend.