Windows 10 freezes after startup randomly

arteleon

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
Sometimes it's right after startup, sometimes it's 3 hours into gaming and it just freezes randomly.

I have Win10 Pro Edit. 64 Bit.

My system is as follows ;

Intel Core i5 @ 3.40GHz
GSkill Ripjaws 2x4 DDR3 Ram
MSI Z97 GAMING 3 Mobo
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162
ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII 3GB

Safe mode works fine, i'm currently using it.

Solution
Hi Arteleon,

I just became a member to this forum, i see you've been waiting "a while", probably given up on an answer... But your problem is similar to mine, so here's my story.

i built a PC way back in 2003 and it always worked fine. I didn't use it a lot and completely unplugged it, sometimes for months. I noticed that i had to change the battery of the motherboard more often than i expected; i wonder if somehow if looses it charge more if the machine is completely unplugged.

Anyways, about 3 years ago, i upgraded to Windows 7 home premium and i got the same random freezes that you describe. It's hard to tell whether it's due to device drivers or a hardware issue. Sometimes i suspected that maybe my power supply is on its last...

dubversion

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Hi Arteleon,

I just became a member to this forum, i see you've been waiting "a while", probably given up on an answer... But your problem is similar to mine, so here's my story.

i built a PC way back in 2003 and it always worked fine. I didn't use it a lot and completely unplugged it, sometimes for months. I noticed that i had to change the battery of the motherboard more often than i expected; i wonder if somehow if looses it charge more if the machine is completely unplugged.

Anyways, about 3 years ago, i upgraded to Windows 7 home premium and i got the same random freezes that you describe. It's hard to tell whether it's due to device drivers or a hardware issue. Sometimes i suspected that maybe my power supply is on its last legs.

Did you ever figure out your issue ? My issue was never solved, i recently bought a new system to replace the old hardware.

So in a nutshell, i would replace the motherboard battery, as that can definitely cause these freezes, and then i would check/replace the power supply.

Solution