Am i allowed to upload gameplay videos to Youtube?

Mar 2, 2014
Can I upload gameplay from games that I own to youtube?
Can I monetize them?
I am planning to upload videos of Metal gear solid 5 and The witcher 3.
Do I need to follow any rule and regulations?
What kind of equipment should I have good Uploads?
Please help!

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
There are some companies that don't play nice with gameplay footage or game sounds/music; Sony and Nintendo, for instance.
You can monotize them
There's no official rules about gameplay footage on youtube (with the NDA exception mentioned by zerorequiem) though using common sense when doing so will not be a detriment. There is regulation regarding paid content (if you get paid to play/endorse the game)
If you can play the game you should have a few space cpu cycles to encode the video. If you're planning to play on console you need a capture card in a dedicated PC. Harddrive space is also a must as a 30 minute encoded video is 500 megs, I don't know what happens if you record RAW. If you plan on talking while playing a decent microphone won't go amiss.

a 30 min raw video can be anywhere between like 4GBs and 40 GBs, and probably higher.

Don't just assume you can upload and monetize game footage without permission.

A short story.
When the game "Legend of Dungeon" was released I did a few episodes of a lets play. I uploaded one and it was immediately flagged as copyrighted content. I contacted Robot loves Kitty (the devs) about it but they just happened to go on vacation. Google gives you a window to prove you have rights to upload that content once it is flagged. The window passed by the time they returned from vacation. Although they did give me explicit permission by email, twitter AND the website, the damage was already done. I got a copyright strike for it while the other people who uploaded the content got nothing.

Lesson: don't assume you can do it because everybody else is doing it.

Eh, yeah I have a similar story, I uploaded a Samurai Warriors gameplay video, and the ending credits had a song that got copyright take-down against it. Thankfully Youtube has a "remove copyright music feature" where it kind of strips/masks the audio that it thinks is copyrighted, and the video was shortly back up.

It was kinda shocking at first because I had uploaded 4 other videos of the same game with no problems.

Kellen_1

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016

Check your facts? People have been getting fined and having their entire accounts deleted. It is no longer safe. U gotta check individual developers restrictions. A lot of steam developers dont mind though. And yes, betas are mostly fair game as well.