MIgrating Win10 to an SSD BUT still keeping the HDD

lehbird

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Hello:

I am waiting on delivery of a new CPU which had Win 10 on an HDD Drive. Will this migration plan work:

1. Install a new SSD Drive.
2. Run migration software to migrate everything from the HDD to the SSD.
3. Go into my BIOS and direct the system to boot off the SSD.
4. Keep the HDD in place and utilize for additional storage..

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Solution
If your installation of Windows 10 on your arriving machine is based off of the free upgrade path then no, it will not work. If your installation of Windows 10 on your arriving machine was based off a purchased licences key then yes, it'll work. Though it would be a good idea to look into your system and see if there are any necessary BIOS updates to be made and if there are further revisions of your device drivers worth downloading so you are prep'd for a new installation of Windows 10.

If you performed your installation via the free upgrade path then,
1| revert to older OS
2| install your new SSD
3| reinstall older OS and format drive containing previous installation of older OS
4| install all drivers and update...

Lutfij

Titan
If your installation of Windows 10 on your arriving machine is based off of the free upgrade path then no, it will not work. If your installation of Windows 10 on your arriving machine was based off a purchased licences key then yes, it'll work. Though it would be a good idea to look into your system and see if there are any necessary BIOS updates to be made and if there are further revisions of your device drivers worth downloading so you are prep'd for a new installation of Windows 10.

If you performed your installation via the free upgrade path then,
1| revert to older OS
2| install your new SSD
3| reinstall older OS and format drive containing previous installation of older OS
4| install all drivers and update installation until you reach the message to upgrade to Windows 10 for free
5| you should then be able to install Windows 10 and have it successfully installed

If you own a licence key to Windows 10 then avoid he above and just reinstall it onto your new media. It'd also be a good idea to create a bootable USB installer that will come in handy for troubleshooting.

Solution

lehbird

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
Thanks so much for your response. I will have a licensed copy of Windows 10. So, when I get my SSD drive I will simply install Win10 on that correct? Then, what do I do next so it uses the SSD drive to boot and not the HHD disk as that will have Win 10 on it as well. Do I go into the BIOS and direct the system what to boot off of?

Thanks again,

Dave

shaolin_thumbs

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
make sure you have ssd as primary boot drive and also set as ahci (or legacy + ahci as it may appear in bios)keep the hdd disconnected til install is done the n power off reconnect hdd then you should be good.Sys will probably ask you to boot from disk ,do so .Hope this helps :)
If windows gives you any shit about updates just go throught he troubleshooter,they'll give you a (free) telephone number to call , follow the easy steps and youre done

TRENDING THREADS