Computer keeps randomly Hard rebooting whilst playing games (and some programs)

Sithjjf

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Computer keeps randomly rebooting whilst playing games (and some programs)

(this is my first time posting on a forum page so sorry if i forget anything)
I recently bought some new parts for my pc, and ever since installation my pc has been hard rebooting randomly while playing games. I have windows 10 pro installed from my old build, and ive tried to reinstall windows but it keeps stopping at about 25% and saying "Windows could not reinstall, no changes were made"

The new parts i bought were:
Motherboard: GA-Z170X-GAMING 3
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-2800c15d-8gvr DDR4 (8Gkit 2*4G)
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz 6MB LGA1151
Parts that i kept from my old build:
2xHHDs
650w PSU (cant remember which one and the sticker has been ripped off, but im pretty sure the brand was Corsair)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 TI 1G

Lutfij

Titan
What was your OS when you were in possession of your older parts? Did you manage to upgrade your older Microsoft OS to Windows 10? If so what was your hardware when you did so? Have you made sure your BIOS is up to date alongside all the necessary drivers for your device such as chipset and graphics card? Are you connected tot eh internet using your LAN port or a wireless adapter? Do the freezes occur when you're idling and when your surf the web? Can you state which games you've run to face this freezing issue?

You can run memtest86 for 10 passes and if there are no issues up to pass # 10 then your ram is fine. If the update to your GPU drivers has caused the issues then revert to last stable version of your Nvidia drivers. i.e if 361.43 has been causing the issues then revert to version 359.34.

If you're yet on a copy of Windows 10 then try a system restore if the issue cropped up after a mandatory Windows update and likewise you can try a repair install.

Sithjjf

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

1. My OS on my old hardware was windows 10, but it was originally 7

2. Yes it successfully upgraded, although i had to do a reinstall once when i changed graphics cards (i was using on board graphics beforehand)

3. when i upgraded i was running a GA-MA74GM-S2 motherboard with 2x2Gb DDR 2 ram with on-board graphics and i cant remember the exact CPU but I'm pretty sure it was something like an AMD Athlon x2 (i remember it was Dual Core 3.0GHz) with on-board graphics (so ATI Radeon 2100 graphics) but i then later installed the GTX 560 Ti.

4.I updated all my BIOS and chip-set drivers when i added the parts, but i was originally running an older version of the graphics drivers, but when i updated the same thing still happened.

5. I'm connected to the internet via LAN

6. It hasn't happened whilst idling or browsing the web, but it has happened in the middle of installations (which was annoying)

7. So far the games that have caused crashes are
Borderlands 2
Minecraft
Gmod
Counter-Strike Global Offensive
Fallout 4
Grand Theft Auto V

And the only game that didn't crash my computer was Terraria

I'm going to setup the memtest and do it now

Sithjjf

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

Ok so i ran the memtest and it passed 10/10 tests with no errors, but i only ran it through once (about 25 mins)