Win10 | Can't open start menu nor settings and other applications

vladikmashk

Honorable
Jan 27, 2016
I have Windows 10
I recently had a problem with my Nvidia drivers, but could install them after all. But now I can see at startup that my graphics card is working, but after startup it stops working and windows switches to the graphics card integrated into the motherboard. After startup when I login, I can't see my profile picture, after logging in, my background where used to be a nice wallpaper is black. When I click on the start button nothing happens. When I try to search for something, it says 'These results may be incomplete'. If I try to open the windows settings app nothing happens. I also can't open Google Chrome.

EDIT: I've found out that when I start up the pc, first the fan on my graphics card doesn't work, then does for 15 seconds and then stops working again.

SPECS:
gigabyte 78lmt-usb3(mother board)
amd fx-6350
Zotac GTX 960
8gb RAM
1TB storage
Win10

Solution
It sounds more like the OS has been corrupted. Please try and perform a system restore if the issue cropped up after a mandatory windows update or a repair install.

If you think the Nvidia drivers are the culprit then go into Safe Mode and then uninstall your graphics card drivers. You can also reinstall your GPU driver although at this point I'd suggest reverting to the last stable drivers if the latest ones caused the issue to crop up. The thing about your fans is where the GPU fans will only spin when necessary and the method/momentum you explained will only happen if the card is powered up from a cold boot. When the heat needs to be dissipated the fan will run or ramp up.

Have you also made sure that your...

Lutfij

Titan
It sounds more like the OS has been corrupted. Please try and perform a system restore if the issue cropped up after a mandatory windows update or a repair install.

If you think the Nvidia drivers are the culprit then go into Safe Mode and then uninstall your graphics card drivers. You can also reinstall your GPU driver although at this point I'd suggest reverting to the last stable drivers if the latest ones caused the issue to crop up. The thing about your fans is where the GPU fans will only spin when necessary and the method/momentum you explained will only happen if the card is powered up from a cold boot. When the heat needs to be dissipated the fan will run or ramp up.

Have you also made sure that your BIOS(although BIOS is last shown to be of 2012) and device drivers are up to date? Is the installation from the free upgrade path or through a new installation? If anew then recreate the bootable USB installer and reinstall the OS.

Solution