Question about triple-monitor gaming.

mohfuu

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Alright, so I've been trying to get this to work for a while with no luck and I'm hoping someone here has some tips that I haven't considered.

I've got four screens..

Wacom Cintiq
Asus RoG Swift pg279q
Dell 2407WFP-HC
Acer G246HL

The ones I want to use for triple monitor gaming would be the Asus, Dell and Acer screens but my Asus screen won't play nice with the Dell and Acer (Nvidia Surround tells me their timing aren't the same) even though I've set them all to 60hz.

I've tried installing a custom driver for the screens but windows defaults to telling me "The best driver software for your device is already installed".. and yes I disabled the windows driver signature authentication.

So I'm at my wits end, should I just give up? Do you guys have any helpful tips?

Solution

Unless you're using the same DVI timing profile for all three (or DP-MST), it's likely that it just won't work. Trying surround with 2x24" and 1x27" though is stupid as hell though, DPI is all over the place and your head will hurt after a few minutes playing. It's not like multimonitor desktop where each display is more or less...

xapoc

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
I tried skyrim on 3 monitors, 3 different sizes and it looks disgusting. The picture on the left and right was stretched. If you want to get anywhere close to decent experience with it, you need all monitors the same, small frame or frame less to minimize the gaps.

Or just get 32-34" ISP curved screen and enjoy it that way.

mohfuu

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Well, I'm leaning towards that conclusion, it seems like the only thing I haven't tried yet. I still want to do what I can with what I have right now instead of going off and spending money to fix the problem, and just getting this to work in some way would be a huge relief right now and possibly give me a taste of the whole triple-monitor thing before I jump into it and spend money on it.

Another thing is that spending money on two more G-Sync screens isn't appealing, and neither is giving up the one G-Sync screen I have so that I can get a good triple-monitor setup, hence me wanting to test this all on the current setup I have.

I've been trying to get it working on Elite Dangerous so that I can more easily spot points of interests on planets that I'm skimming the surface of.

xapoc

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Try what you did already and lower resolution on all 3 units and see what it does. Not sure if you tried it yet. Or perhaps upscale resolution via nvidias DSR just for testing purpose. One other thing, it does let you enable surround view in the nvidia control panel? or this is as you start the game?

mohfuu

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

I've already tried using the same resolution across the three screens, it didn't change. I can get into the nvidia control panel and start fiddling with all which screens to pick, but nvidia won't let me pick acer, asus and dell for nvidia surround. I can "enable" it for say the acer and dell screen, but not the acer and asus, or dell and asus screen, and not a triple between asus, acer and dell.

Unless you're using the same DVI timing profile for all three (or DP-MST), it's likely that it just won't work. Trying surround with 2x24" and 1x27" though is stupid as hell though, DPI is all over the place and your head will hurt after a few minutes playing. It's not like multimonitor desktop where each display is more or less independent.

If you're serious about surround, get three of the same monitors, and even better if it's all DP based displays

Solution

mohfuu

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

Well, I'm not serious about it, I just want to try it and get something working to get a taste of it. I think I'll just give it up for now and keep it in the back of my head for when I'm looking to buy monitors.

Thanks for your time guys.