Wireless icon missing in windows 10

4790k970

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Hello everyone. I just got my first PC today and I'm a bit of noob. I tried to connect to the internet but noticed that there simply was no option to connect to a wireless network. A wired network works fine though. I checked on the internet and I can't seem to find any solution. I am at my wits' end please help. Thanks a lot guys.

edit: I have a gigabyte z170x gaming 7 as my motherboard. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#ov

Solution
I prefer the USB as the wifi cards normally have antenna out the back which can be interfered with by all the power cables (tower, monito, speakers, printer, etc), plus you can always add a USB cable whoich allows to move it around for better reception depending on location

4790k970

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015

It doesn't. It only shows intel ethernet connection and the gigabyte killer ethernet (a feature of my motherboard). No wireless adapter.

4790k970

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015

I am connected to the ethernet now but even when I wasn't there was no wireless connection icon. Thing is, if i go to network settings there simply is no wi fi option. There's only data usage, VPN, dial-up, ethernet and proxy.

How do you imagine to connect to wireless networks without a wireless network card?
If you realy need to connect to wireless networks, then go and get wireless network usb adapter or PCIE card.

But anyway wired connection is far superior to wireless connection (considering stability and speed).

4790k970

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015

wait a moment, how does this work? I thought I had a wireless network card in my mobo. My laptop didn't require any other device to connect to wi fi. Thanks for answering so fast btw.

4790k970

Reputable
Oct 20, 2015
Ok guys I think I got it now. I thought my mobo had wi fi built-in. It doesn't. I'll need to get A wi fi card or a us to wi fi dongle. Which one do you guys recommend?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I prefer the USB as the wifi cards normally have antenna out the back which can be interfered with by all the power cables (tower, monito, speakers, printer, etc), plus you can always add a USB cable whoich allows to move it around for better reception depending on location

Solution

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
That being said, I have never had a single USB WiFi dongle that performed anywhere near adequately, while I've never had any issues with the PCIe card in my machine. You can also get extensible antennas for PCIe cards, as long as they have the standard threaded mount. My evidence might be rather anecdotal, but I'd never even consider a USB WiFi card anymore.