Temporary upgrade an old 775 system or buy 1150 at minimal cost?

yoyo14

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Hello,
[Wasn't sure whether to post here or on System forum but CPU needs is what started this whole thing - so I've chosen this one, I'll try being brief yet thorough =]

Recently I've considered upgrading my cpu to a "newer" model, my current specs are:
E5200
ASUS P5KPL-CM
4GB DDR2 ram, only 3.25 are identified by Win XP, but I'm planning to upgrade to 8.1 64bit ...
GT 240 [512 MB GDDR5 by Sparkle]
Seasonic S12II 430W
Some old WD HDD [connected to the sata2 mobo =]
SSD 850 EVO 250GB - hasn't been installed yet!

Someone offered me his Q9650 and an ECS mobo [G41] with DDR3 [he said] for about $80.
[I know most sell the second hand Q9550 for about $21 in my country...]
So while considering his offer I thought maybe I should just get the lowest-end minimal CPU&MOBO here instead!
I came up with a G3260 CPU + fan and a ASUS H81M-K LGA1150 MOBO , in total of $135.
In both cases I'll have to add around a $55 for 8GB DDR3 single stick [the cheapest configuration I've found here]

So the total difference is of $55 between the New and the Old!
When I think about...Well, new should mean much better speed due to integration of new system [bus, fsb, sata, etc ...]
I think I'm starting to give myself an answer here, but I have been away from the market for a long time - so I'd appreciate you guys' advice better!

I also just assume if I got the 'used offer' I'd manage with fitting it into my standard old case, never done it, but I can follow YouTube instructions well, I believe :)

So, what do you think is better- consider a temporary upgrade [totals in $135] Or just wait till I actually buy whole new system?
I originally starting considering upgrade mainly because my 3.25GB ram just doesn't cut it!!
I browse a lot and leave dozens of tabs open [could be a 100] but chrome hogs all my ram and the whole system slows down like a pain in the b***.

Or maybe just go for a cpu upgrade Q9550\Q9650 for now, a $20+\- upgarde, as I originally intended to do!!?

* Bonus question - since Intel's built in graphic unit has a 'generic' name [Intel HD graphics] I wasn't sure of it's location on Tom's hierarchy chart, so to be sure- my GT 240 is much better than G2360 bilt in GPU, correct?

Thank you very much!
Link for the 3 mentioned CPUs:
http://ark.intel.com/compare/37212,87356,35428

Edit: forgot to mention - uses of the system:
Lots of browsing!
Online radio, Youtube, Offline video & audio playing
Some gaming: since my specs are low I can't game too much but I do play BF: Bad-Company-2 often, which puts my cpu on 100% and it&gpu run hot!

Darkseiders

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

yoyo14

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Nope...
The cheapest selling CPU where I'm at is the G3260 :)
I'm actually overseas, so Newegg, Amazon [or anything else] don't apply to me :\

yoyo14

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

Well, it is much much newer and whatever comes along with that (quicker interface of the system etc...)
But a friend told me today that he really does NOT recommended spending that much money on an old un-upgradable system...
And said it's best to just save for decent minimal 1151 system...
On another note, he said something about the memory controller regarding DDR3 pieces and how it may have compatibility issues with cpu etc
due to changes between DDR2 and ddr3 technology and connection...
He also said he thinks I'll need much stronger cooling fan comparing with my e5200's lower specs...