Toshiba Laptop, new ssd and won't boot regardless if bios boot setting

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Hi all. So earlier today I purchased two ssd's for my brother in law to speed up his laptop and pc. I figured it would be a simple install as its always been so with windows 10 on my personal laptop and desktops since I never had to format and it just updated some information or something. Today I ran into an issue where it wouldn't boot with either CSM boot or Uefi and Legacy doesn't exist in this particular toshiba satalite laptop. the HDD/SSD was and is set as the primary boot drive but I keep getting either a boot error or a searching media not found error.

Any ideas for a workaround? I really hope I don't need to format as once again, win 10 has never prompted me to do so with an ssd install.

Hi,

Which in particular is the drive that has the Windows 10 OS installed? If both the HDD and SSD was installed in your laptop, which is set as the first boot device? If it was the HDD then you shouldn't have any problem loading in Windows 10 but if the SSD is set as the first boot device then it won't boot up since it's new and there's no Operating System installed in it yet. If you're planning on using just the SSD with your laptop and you'll just use the HDD as a 2nd drive, you'll need to install Windows 10 in the SSD first before you can do that.

Here's how to create a bootable Windows 10 USB or Disc:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2745957/create-windows-installation-usb-drive-dvd.html

And here's the complete guide to install the bootable Windows 10 you created:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2569562/install-windows.html

ushy86

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008

Thanks for helping out with this issue. As for your question.. It is the HDD that has the windows 10 free upgrade on it, while the SSD is brand new. As I mentioned earlier in my post, I recall swapping in a new SSD for a HDD on my other windows 10 laptop with no issues, and it basically updated the win 10 onto it, so I don't understand what's the issue with this Toshiba(mind you I am not super savvy with tech stuff, but I get around fine typically) However, with this Toshiba and it's bios, it has HDD/SSD in conjunction as primary boot drive but it will not continue through when I take out the HDD and put in the SSD alone. Is there something minor I am missing here?

Thanks again.