Moving games from SSD to HDD and vice versa

mrpcguy123

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
Hello all,

I recently got a new PC but after some time I discovered that my games had been moved to my 120GB SSD boot drive. My question is: how do I move games and files to my hard drive? And if I move them to my hard drive, will the load times be much longer? HDD is 3TB 7200rpm drive.

Thanks in advance for answers! :)

Yes the games will load slower on a HDD by a few seconds compared to the SSD but depends on the game. You should always keep about of 1/3 free of the SSD as SSD's loose performance if near filling. I have a 250GB Samsung EVO 850 and I have the OS on it with two games (killing floor 2 and Fallout 4) the rest of my games are on my 1TB HDD. I have about 160GB left on the SSD

If you want to move your user files from the SSD to the larger drive, the easiest way is to right-click on the My Documents folder and change location it goes to. I suggest creating a new My Documents folder in the second drive rather than just dumping the files in the root of that drive. That will automatically move your files off the SSD. For games, you can't just copy them to the other drive, they will contain many files that the registry and other things need to find, and the location of those files are usually listed with the drive letter. You will have to re-install the games and change the setup location during setup.