Problems after installing new hdd

Dexter010

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Hi,

I bought a second WD Caviar Black 2tb and added it to my windows 10 pc.
Now i have alot of problems and things i suddenly can't use properly anymore.
If i download a file my winrar says Failed - Blocked.
ALL of my video files are suddenly without subtitles, even the videos with a seperate srt. file.
My folder taskbar icon is white instead of the yellow map icon.
And my folder option bar is empty and there are no words to read but i can click on the empty spaces.
It's just a big error everywhere suddenly but how can this happen and how can i put everything like it was?

Please help me.

Solution

If you have windows 7 disc, you can start from that and you can upgrade to windows 10
or
Try to boot in safe mode and use System restore to restore your system to some point where it was good

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Just disconnect it and see if you are getting the same problems, because first we need to make sure that disc is not defective

And

Change the SATA & Power cables and change the port also

Completely format the New drive with AMOEI and see

Dexter010

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I have removed the new hdd but still have the same problems.
All files downloaded from chrome will be Failed - Blocked.
The SATA and power cables are new and came with my asus motherboard and corsair psu.

Hi Dexter.
Did you move any files from the existing hard drives to the new 2TB drive.
If the case and you are still trying to run the programs from your desktop for example.

What you have done is changed the destination path of the program.
In respect to the Physical drive letter set in the desktop shortcut of each program.

For example the original desktop shortcut would be C:\program files\winrar\winrar.exe.

But if you moved the program to the new drive the drive letter path has to be changed, and the folder path also.
Example say E: was the 2 TB drive and you moved Winrar from the program files folder.

You would click on properties of the Desktop Icon and edit it to.
E:\winrar\winrar.exe.

Or simply delete the old desktop icon for Winrar.
Go to the winrar folder on the new drive if the program has been moved to there.
Right click, create a shortcut send to desktop.

In windows load up disk management.
Check the drives status.

Click on the action tab at the top of the window.
Select rescan all disks.

The new 2TB should be, formatted and set to online mode, and have a drive letter assignment.
The HD must be set to Online mode. Right click in the first small box select set to online.

Dexter010

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

The new hdd is still empty, and my ssd is my main disk with all the programs and stuff like winrar and torrentz, but my first hdd always worked fine with any chrome or torrentz download.

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Try reinstalling only the software which are giving problem, if no luck, then I think it is the time to reinstall OS

Dexter010

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
I don't know how to reinstall my windows 10 because i can not download anything from IE, Chrome or edge.
I just feel so totally screwed with this, why does pcs always have these shittie problems.

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

If you have windows 7 disc, you can start from that and you can upgrade to windows 10
or
Try to boot in safe mode and use System restore to restore your system to some point where it was good

Solution