Gigabyte Releases BIOS Update To Squash Intel Skylake Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2015
And???
Aren't you going to tell us just what the "fix" does?
I mean...at $255 a pop (for the i5-6600) does the fix disable something were paying for?
If so...then drop the prices of these CPU to make up for it...if not...then tell us how it fixes the problem!

hobbsmeerkat

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

The issue is related to very specific calculations involving "prime numbers" (3,5,7,11,13,17... etc.) that may occasionally cause the system to freeze or crash unexpectedly. It currently affects all current Skylake CPU's from the Core and Xeon E3 lines.
However, it does not affect 99% of people running Skylake systems under normal conditions, and the update doesn't "disable" any features, or hurt performance, it just implements a fix to prevent crashing when running those specific kinds of complex calculations & workloads. (or those stress testing with Prime95)

You can read more about the Skylake Bug here.

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This bug comes into effect when the CPU is heavily stressed.
I'm curious if all of the released bios updates (first by Asrock, now by Gigabyte) to eliminate this bug do so by slowing the rate in which commands reach the CPU, thus lowering the performance too.

SpAwNtoHell

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
Yes assus did it also i done it myself on both skylake mb last week, tho was not in the news section, or maybe it did not cover all motherboards just yet. So best is to check your mb support page.

notsoswift1

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Have you updated the BIOS to see if the BIOS on the site fixes it?

Looks like ASUS has released a BIOS Update.
"Z170-PREMIUM BIOS 1602
"Update Microcode and improve system compatibility."
"
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PREMIUM/HelpDesk_Download/

Looks like I can run some benchmarks now.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
So where are the reviews on the performance impact of this bug?

Ya ive heard the only affect some people under high load. And ive heard the intel line that it wont affect performance.

But, id really like to see some benchmarks to see what the performance impact is.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
CPUs are good at one thing, adding numbers. They can add positive numbers and add negative numbers.. yet intel just couldnt get it right. Billions of dollars spent on R and D yet they cant seem to get a couple numbers right.

Alpesh_Shroff

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
"More New Generations More Bugs"
Often I see the posts related to new bugs with every latest generation, No doubt Motherboard companies have to fix their BIOS to rectify. Coz, they have a big problem of working with such CPU's, Because they can't opt out of their business Ha Ha.. But Seriously Intel should work on its R&D before releasing new generations on he market. Don't see much threads on this major issue like people blaming the competition AMD for their shortcomings. Wake up members

Status
Not open for further replies.