Left channel audio not working after installing new GPU

buddhababy23

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Hello! I have run into a weird problem after upgrading from a GTX 770 to an R9 390.

For some reason, the audio on my left channel stopped working. I have tried re-installing my realtek drivers, using only the windows native audio drivers, and making sure that the AMD audio drivers have NOT been installed on my PC. All three yielded the same results. Also, my headphones work flawlessly when used on another device so the problem must be within my PC.

I have also checked to make sure that the audio levels were equal on both channels. I am not able to use the front audio ports on my case for testing because they also stopped working. Unfortunately, I am not sure if my front audio ports stopped working due to this same problem or if it had been broken for awhile.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Solution

Sounds like it might have died on you. Try again with the old card and see if it works again, but if it doesn't the 390's horrible power draw might have overloaded the audio codec (and you'll need to replace it with a sound card or new mobo)

Sounds like it might have died on you. Try again with the old card and see if it works again, but if it doesn't the 390's horrible power draw might have overloaded the audio codec (and you'll need to replace it with a sound card or new mobo)

Solution

buddhababy23

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

I thought my seasonic 620W PSU would be enough to power the R9 390. Was I wrong? Anyways, I'll try pulling the card out and checking the audio again and let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice!

When not overclocked, should be enough. But that's not the issue, the issue is that the PCIe slot power draw of AMD cards can be above the 75W limit most motherboards are built to, and some motherboards can't even handle 75W

buddhababy23

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

Ahh I see. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, even without the AMD card in the audio problem persists. So, at this point, is my only option to buy a sound card or RMA my motherboard?

Try reinstalling the drivers one more time (older version this time), and if that doesn't help you might need to look into replacement.

buddhababy23

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016

The older drivers didn't help so I guess I'll have to order a soundcard. I'll give an update after it arrives and I try it out. Thanks for your help thus far!

EDIT: So, first of all, I'm an idiot for assuming that my motherboard would have at least a single PCI slot. Unfortunately, all it has are PCIe slots so I need to return and order a new sound card. However, I did get my front audio ports working so I think it's safe to assume that the motherboard's rear audio ports is the culprit!