How To Properly Clean Your LCD Monitor? Confused On Different Cleaning Solutions.

G

Hey everybody, I'm wondering on how do you properly clean your LCD monitor?
I'm so confused here because I have been trying to find an answer for days here.
Does it really come down to preference? I have heard of some people using a mix of 50% Isopropyl Alcohol (sometimes white vinegar to substitute for the alcohol) & 50% distilled water in a spray bottle, and I heard that some LCD manufacturers are advising not to use against alcohol like Apple for example. They say not to use alcohol for cleaning their screens because it damages the oleophobic anti-glare coating. My parents bought me some distilled water & a microfiber cloth yesterday. Could I try that? Use distilled water on a microfiber cloth & clean with that?

Solution
You're overthinking this. I literally pour water on my piece of fiber cloth, make sure it's not a lot so that it won't get inside my monitor, and then I literally just clean it, takes 10 seconds. My tap water is ridiculously clean so that's what I use, but sure, spray will do just fine, but I feel like pouring the water on a fiber cloth yourself is a better idea.
G

Thanks, but why do people use the solutions I listed? I have not seen a single universal rule with good advice on cleaning a LCD monitor yet. I have heard of some people using a drop of dish soap. I used to use a paper towel & tap water a lot for cleaning LCD monitors & that was such a big mistake I made.

That's because there isn't a universal rule on cleaning monitors.

However, the best option is to use microfiber and water. It should work great, that's what I use to clean my monitors.

G

If there was a universal rule on cleaning monitors, people would know what materials not to use on their monitor & damage it with those certain materials. I was thinking to myself that I could try out distilled water & a microfiber cloth. When it comes to cleaning things in technology, is it gray only? Not black or white?

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
Technically, you can use glass cleaning solutions that don't have ammonia in them (example, Windex). I've used an aerosol glass cleaner for years, works great and doesn't fade the plastic face on the panel. Just don't leave it on the panel too long, spray and wipe within 30 seconds. Always use a second cloth (or a clean/dry part of your first cloth) to do the final wipe, this will collect any moisture and dust/dirt/debris from the surface.

The time you leave any solution on the screen matters. You can even use Windex as long as you don't use too much and wipe it off really fast, but I'd recommend avoiding it.

G

Wow! Thank you for telling me that. :D That really set me straight, my confusion is down now. I'd rather make DIY cleaners instead of spending my money on 'some' LCD cleaner. Strangely enough, most LCD cleaners come with alcohol in them.

They use a giant piece of clean glass, and cut their monitors. I haven't heard of any factory mass using alcohol to clean the display before they ship them out. Literally all that can happen is dust, water and or air is enough to get rid of that, I doubt judging by the monitor market and the manufacturers mindset that investing in cleaning solutions is something they would never do.

You're overthinking this. I literally pour water on my piece of fiber cloth, make sure it's not a lot so that it won't get inside my monitor, and then I literally just clean it, takes 10 seconds. My tap water is ridiculously clean so that's what I use, but sure, spray will do just fine, but I feel like pouring the water on a fiber cloth yourself is a better idea.

Solution
G

Thank you, I must be trying to go for perfection or something. I keep thinking in tech that's there's a right or a wrong side to doing things, but it's just all preference?