Keyboard lag every 5 seconds

Sam_101

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
About 15-20 minutes into a boot on my PC, the keyboard starts to lag every 5 seconds or so. For 5 seconds, it's completely normal. After, the keyboard seizes up for around 0.5 seconds and returns to normal. It's no driver issue, I've updated windows etc, I've tried many other keyboard and USB slots. this is INSANELY frustrating, as I play a lot of video-games. Basically, every 5 seconds my keyboard input stops working for 0.5 seconds, and after it seems to 'catch up' on what I typed or tried to do.

Solution
It's no mystery. My system has been doing it since moving to Windows 10 and it does not do it if I revert to backups of Windows 8.1 made using Acronis True Image, so I know it's a Windows 10 issue. It also doesn't do it all the time, and does it much more often in the Edge browser or Internet Explorer, but it does it often enough in other applications and browsers as well. No amount of searching for an answer here, via Google or through Microsoft help desk and forum has provided a solution.

Is your keyboard a wireless or wired unit? What is the model of your keyboard and does it share a unifying receiver with a mouse or are they separate?

Have you done a clean install of Windows or have you only performed the upgrade? Some users who...
It's no mystery. My system has been doing it since moving to Windows 10 and it does not do it if I revert to backups of Windows 8.1 made using Acronis True Image, so I know it's a Windows 10 issue. It also doesn't do it all the time, and does it much more often in the Edge browser or Internet Explorer, but it does it often enough in other applications and browsers as well. No amount of searching for an answer here, via Google or through Microsoft help desk and forum has provided a solution.

Is your keyboard a wireless or wired unit? What is the model of your keyboard and does it share a unifying receiver with a mouse or are they separate?

Have you done a clean install of Windows or have you only performed the upgrade? Some users who have had this problem have had success after doing a clean install of the OS and then reinstalling all the pertinent hardware drivers.

Solution

jdf135

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016

jdf135

Commendable
Jun 20, 2016
I was having this problem with Windows 7 which is WHY I upgraded to Windows 10! It only seemed to happen with installed programs, not on the web and this is still the case with Windows 10. Updating was pretty straightforward but how does one do a "clean install."