Windows 10 License key for people that upgraded for free when it came out?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I am or was a Technet subscriber that upgraded one of my Windows 8 machines (one of the license keys for Windows 8) to Windows 10.

Everything went fine, been using Windows 10 since. But I never got an email or notification what my Windows 10 license key is if I want to to a re-install of WIndows 10.

Where do I get that license key? I want to Format the hard drive and do a fresh install.

Solution

There is no license key needed.
Your 'license key' is a combination of your old OS license and info from your hardware (motherboard). This is stored at MS. Just like the regular license key of old.

If you need to reinstall, just do it. When it asks for the license key (it asks twice), Skip.
It will see that same hardware, and activate online...

USAFRet

Titan

There is no license key needed.
Your 'license key' is a combination of your old OS license and info from your hardware (motherboard). This is stored at MS. Just like the regular license key of old.

If you need to reinstall, just do it. When it asks for the license key (it asks twice), Skip.
It will see that same hardware, and activate online after you are done.

If you change the motherboard, all bets are off.

Solution

rchris

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
There are apps that will give you the key (such as Belarc and others), but the key isn't necessary. If you go to Settings...Update & Security...Activation, you will probably see that "Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement." That means Microsoft servers have identified your computer by its components. You can do a fresh reinstall and it will automatically activate without a Product Key. I've successfully installed Win 10 on a new SSD and it activated. If you were to change out the motherboard, you'd probably not be successful in getting an automatic activation. Tip: when doing your install, click on the text that says "I don't have a product key," and it should activate later after the install (via Internet, of course).

jfive194

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Correct! What am wondering is all of us that took full retail , win7 pro in my case, copies to Win 10 may not be able to change motherboards now. I am currently running my 3rd PC on my Win7Pro License by re installing to the new machine when i scrap the old and build anew. So only running the one PC at a time. It has never failed to pass verification. After taking it to Win 10 through the upgrade it will generate a new Win10 key from your old WinXX key. What if you retrieve the newly generated Win10 key with a third party key finder. Could you then Re-install Win10 , that you bought full as Win7 years ago, on a new motherboard now that you have the key? Or are we basically losing our paid for OS license by taking the "free" upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan

Conflicting info from MS.

1 says "original Retail = Win 10 Retail". Movable to new hardware.
Another says "for the life of this device". Device = motherboard.

However, you almost certainly will have success in...if it does not automatically activate, call MS.

jfive194

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks for the info!