How to make a shortcut display in "Search" ?

K D Decilon

Honorable
Jan 30, 2016
I have come to love Windows Search. I have turned off my Desktop Shortcuts.

I start programs by hitting the Windows key, and typing the name of the program. Keeps my Desktop clean and spiffy, and prevents casual obsservers from seeing what is installed. So far, this has worked fine for me.

I use a small utility program (Keepass.exe) often. I am not able to make it show up when I search from the Windows 10 Start Menu.

I have a Windows 8.1 laptop, it finds the shortcut easily.

So far, I have copied the Shortcut to a directory in the path (Windows\System32!), and I have added the Shortcut to the Start Menu. If I CLICK the Shortcut in Start Menu, it opens the program.

However, when I open the Start Menu (hit the Windows Key) and start typing the name, windows 10 just says "Huh? never heard of it."

It wants to "Search My Stuff" but I might not live long enough for that to finish, and it returns nothing useful.

How do I make the Shortcut show up in the search?

Solution
Have a read through this and this thread and see if the solutions help you out. You might also want to try an perform a repair install as the application search should come up in your start menu. Is it possible to pass on your laptop's make and model number? I assume this installation of Windows 10 is via the free upgrade path? I could also suggest a system restore if the issue cropped up after a mandatory windows update though it's been seen around here that the restore feature tends to mess with the OS as well.

Lutfij

Titan
Have a read through this and this thread and see if the solutions help you out. You might also want to try an perform a repair install as the application search should come up in your start menu. Is it possible to pass on your laptop's make and model number? I assume this installation of Windows 10 is via the free upgrade path? I could also suggest a system restore if the issue cropped up after a mandatory windows update though it's been seen around here that the restore feature tends to mess with the OS as well.

Solution