No internet access, "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

Sionisis

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Windows Troubleshoot is telling me that "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer" and I can't for the life of me figure out what a network protocol is, or why mine suddenly disappeared.

I'm using an Ethernet cable (it's plugged in on both ends), my other devices have internet access, and I haven't recently changed any settings. I let my PC update whenever it asks.

I found a video that walked me through running something like a "netsh something something" in command prompt. That didn't work.

If you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Solution
Well that all looks good. All the protocols you need are listed there. In particular (unless you ISP is using IPV6 which is doubtful), IPV4 is there.

Can you open a Command Prompt windows and type?

ipconfig /all

I assume you are using another computer to post here. Assuming I am correct, can you copy and paste the results of the above command into a text document and take it the computer you are posting here on and copy paste it to this thread?

What OS are you using? I would check to see what ethernet adapter you are using to connect to the internet with. Removing the device from Device Manager (assuming some version of Windows) and having Windows re-install it may fix the problem for you. It's possible that you've lost TCP/IP from the protocols on that adapter.

Hit the Windows Key + x, this will bring up a menu, select Device Manager.

Expand Network Adapaters. You may have more than one. If it's easy to distinguish which is your ethernet adapter, right click it and a menu will open, select uninstall. If you are unsure which one it is (because you have more than one or it's confusing) post what they are here and I'll try to sort it out.

At this point (after uninstalling the device) the easiest thing to do is reboot your computer. Upon reboot, Windows should find the hardware and re-install the driver for it and hopefully restore all protocols with it.

Sionisis

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
Okay. So I deleted the ethernet adapter as instructed.
But my PC still doesn't even think it has ethernet access.
I'm pretty sure it's failing to reinstall the adapter because it hasn't even gotten to the point where it registers the adapter is missing.

Sionisis

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

Yeah it's there again. It's called the Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V.

But my PC is still reading the same issue as before

Ok, use the Win Key + x combo again, and this time select Network Connections.

From there right-click Ethernet Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V and select Properties. You will see a list of protocols in the lower panel. The most important two are TCP/IP version 4 and 6. However just post a list here and note whether there is a check mark beside them.

Sionisis

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

The following is my list of Clients/Protocols listed in that location. They are all checked and exist with the exception of the italicized one.

Client for Microsoft Windows
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol
Link Layer Topology Discover Mapper I/O Driver
Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)
Reliable Multicast Protocol
Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver
Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder

Well that all looks good. All the protocols you need are listed there. In particular (unless you ISP is using IPV6 which is doubtful), IPV4 is there.

Can you open a Command Prompt windows and type?

ipconfig /all

I assume you are using another computer to post here. Assuming I am correct, can you copy and paste the results of the above command into a text document and take it the computer you are posting here on and copy paste it to this thread?

Solution