Monitor hurts my eyes (ASUS VX228H)

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
It really hurts my eyes,I cant be comfortable while looking at it.I bought a HP Pavilion 6-7 years ago and it doesnt hurt my eyes still.What's the problem with Asus VX228H?What should I do?

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
I dont know why but f.lux doesnt matter to my problem.And i try lower brightness but it doesnt solve my problem as only.I think I should find monitor settings etc. to solve this problem.Because in my laptop (HP Pavilion) in max. brightness doesnt hurt my eyes.In this monitor (Asus VX228H),i use it in lowest brightness but it hurts my eyes.And Asus monitors has flicker-free and eyecare technology i guess.But it harms my eyes.

Define "hurt my eyes". The problem could be that you're focusing too hard to be able to read things on screen. This is a very common problem.

What resolution is your laptop screen,

What size is it?

How far away do you sit from your laptop screen and your current standalone monitor?

You should experiment. Flicker free and "eye care" are just marketing tricks, they don't reduce or increase eye strain. I would call a doctor or some other place and get some advice, as I'm sure calling is free, or use a medical forum. It's never easy to pinpoint what the problem is in these situations.

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
The problem appears in only this monitor.In other pcs,they dont harm my eyes."Hurt my eyes",I mean example;now I am in the forum and i dont feel comfortable while reading posts.But in HP Pavilion i feel comfortable.In HP Pavilion,display is more sharp and soft so it doesnt hurt my eyes,can easily read everything.Macbook Air is comfortable too.

What resolution is your laptop screen?

What size is it?

How far away do you sit from your laptop screen and your current standalone monitor?

The problem is very likely the PPI, meaning a lower PPI means more eye strain, as reading low resolution text is harder on your eyes than reading text that is similar or equal to reading a physical paper. Please answer above, and we'll find a better monitor for you.

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

I am sitting about 60-70 cm from my monitor and like the same about laptop.My laptop is 1366x768.

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

If I overclock it to 75 Hz maybe it will get failed and because of it,its warranty will be end.I try but I cant find the true settings for temperature etc.And I am using it in 1920x1080.

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Ok As per your inputs ...

HP Pavillion laptop is Old one, so, it probably LCD display, your eyes got adjusted to that since you have been using it for the last 6-7 years, so it does not hurt your eyes

Coming to the new display, the ASUS display, it is LED display, it is different from LCD, so your eyes are getting strained with it.

Full HD resolution is pretty high resolution on 22 inch screen, you can even safely sit 2-3 ft away from it because of high resolution
http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/size-to-distance-relationship

Please go through these once
http://www.eizo.com/library/basics/eyestrain/

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Thanks.What can I do on my monitor?But when i look at MacBook Air,it doesnt hurt my eyes too.Its sharp.Isnt it LED too?

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

There are many qualities will come in LED, depends on quality eye strain is different. MACBook Air is undoubtedly high quality LED, they might have taken care all the side effects

Can you clarify on one below thing

Is your ASUS monitoer brightness and colors look same from complete right, left, up, down OR getting changed with the upper or side angle ?

If brightness or colors are fading/alerting with angle in any one direction, then the display quality is poor

SO... If possible, return that monitor and buy the same sized digital TV from Sony or Samsung or LG, use as monitor and see if your eyes are getting strained?

It is better to go to Tv showroom and check physically which display is giving your eyes less strain, find the good one and enjoy :)

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

I look them,their monitors looks good.What can I do for my current monitor?I want to use mine,I havent enough money now to buy an another one.

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Use Brightness high and see your eye comfort, use black desktop or whichever you feel comfortable, angle your monitor accordingly etc ...

If possible return that monitor and buy the same sized digital TV, if not possible to return, try to sell it, add add little extra money to buy desired one

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

What do you mean by "black desktop" ? I will try to return it but i saw in the internet,TV's had input lag while playing FPS games?

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

"black desktop" - I mean black desktop background so that icons and their text will appear better
And regarding to the TV input lag: Start of art TVs will have fast response times, and the primary advantage of TVs are more better picture quality than monitors, so, check the specs thoroughly before purchase

FYI I am using sony Bravia 32inch TV as monitor to my PC for the last 2 years, I do not have any problem, Sony TV specs say that clear motion rate is 400Mhz

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

Thanks and my first preference is repair my current monitor because i dont know store agrees or not agree my monitor's return.Do you know how can I find settings to my monitor?I think maybe i can solve my eye problem with monitor's R G B settings,etc..

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Settings are specific to Monitor, so, please look at the user manual you should be able to find out ...
And
RGB settings will not help you, do not change that, colors will be awkward if you try to change these
You can try adjusting Brightness, contrast, color Temperature
The below site might help you
http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/irritated.htm

trequartistaa

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

But i changed contrast and RGB,brightness.And I can see better now,my problem isnt solved %100 but its better.Do you know different things?What Tracer Free should be and ASCR,VividPixel,Smart View?

Ravi Sankar

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

I know general terms but the words you gave here looks like ASUS proprietary terms for power saving, or better quality etc , so you can try them