Is it worth buying the Skylake i7 processor now or wait for the Cannonlake i7 in 2017?

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
I have an Toshiba Intel i3 dual core 2.5GHz processor laptop right now which I primarily use for all my MS .net development projects. I want more processing power and better RAM. So, I'm thinking of building my own custom built desktop computer soon this year. I am thinking of choosing the Skylake i7 processor as it is the newest processor out right now, but I see that the Cannonlake i7 processor is coming out in 2017. Should I wait until the Cannonlake i7 processor comes out in 2017 to build my custom desktop computer or is it advice able to go ahead and just get the skylake i7 and build my custom Desktop PC now?

thanks for the advice in advance.

Manish Tewari

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

If you are willing to wait till 2nd half of '17, then 10nm cannon lake will be worth a wait - before that 14nm Kaby lake in K/S/H/U/Y Series should be there.

"It is also rumored that it is reported that Intel will be introducing 10nm Ice Lake processors in 2018 and 10nm Tiger Lake processors in 2019" ;)

If i were you i would happily go with Skylake I7, what concerns you about forthcoming cpu is never ending race.

Considering the improvements Intel has made lately waiting isn't worth the trouble. AMD has some good stuff (at least hopefully) coming down the pipe late this year but I doubt it will outperform the current high end Intel chips although it will probably prove a better value.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

Are there Mobos for the skylake i7 that will allow me to upgrade the processor later on like 1 or 2 years from now to a processor that will be out then? I mean so that I can upgrade the processor without having to buy a new Mobo all together?

Also, an article states that the user should save money by buying an older CPU that is comparable to the performance of the sklyake i7. That way, you can transfer the savings 1 or 2 years down the road when you upgrade the older CPU that you buy now. Is this good advice?

Thanks.

Manish Tewari

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

as per current specs 1151 socket, will support Kaby lake processor as well - so you should be good to go with Z / H 170