Computer randomly gives Single beep and restarts

jdgreat4

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
Hello,
I have a Windows 10 PC and I get a single beep immediately followed by a restart. This issue happens randomly, sometimes during gaming or sometimes just while browsing the web and it's getting pretty irritating.
I thought it was because of the dust that's been collecting up inside my pc so I cleaned it up just today morning but then it happened again about ten minutes back.

Specs are as follows:
Core i5 4690k
8 gb corsair vengeance ram
Asus strix gtx 970 graphics card
Gigabyte ga z97x ud3h motherboard

Help will be highly appreciated.

Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update, install all update available.
- Next is to reseat all the RAM's, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in or change their places.
- Also do install the latest BIOS Update from Gigabytes support site.
- Here's the link: http://www.gigabyte.ph/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4960#bios
- Do also install the latest graphics card driver.
- Uninstall the old graphics driver from Device Manager.
- Check Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to your graphics card.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Reboot your PC once the latest driver has been installed.

jdgreat4

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
Alright I'll try this. I updated my *graphics* drivers very recently.
UPDATE: So I went to the bios update link for my motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5363#bios and found out that I had the F7 version. According to the changelog, we got support for i5 processors in the F8 version so I'm guessing (hoping) that was the problem. I've updated to the latest (F9) version successfully. Will give following updates in a week and a month to confirm if it was the fix.
Thank you, Laptop_nerd.
UPDATE 2: Sadly, within three hours of updating, the computer randomly restarted again while playing FIFA 16.
UPDATE 3: So in the event log I get an event id 41 which indicates unexpected shutdown which according to a few google searches points towards a failing psu.
Can anyone suggest a few other likely solutions before I RMA the psu? I'd really hate not being able to use the computer for a few weeks Haha.