Planning on installing a SSD as boot drive

Nikkye

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016
Hey,I just built a new gaming PC and reused my HHD from my old HP. I tried to be sneaky and use Windows 10 from the old system. It works but I cant activate it, Microsoft says I need to buy a new copy due to OEM licencing .
I can't afford a new copy of Windows 10 and a SSD this month so would in make any sense to buy Windows, install it on an an extra HHD, which I have, as a boot drive? Then next month buy the SSD and then just clone the boot drive?
Thanks !!!

Solution
Yeah, you should be just fine doing that. Windows licensing is stored in your motherboard, so you can swap the windows files around to a different SSD/HDD whenever you want as long as you use the same Motherboard with it. Install windows on your hdd until you get the new SSD. When you do, back up your files, then do a reinstall of windows, and choose the SSD as the boot drive in the BIOS.

zeke15

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016
Yeah, you should be just fine doing that. Windows licensing is stored in your motherboard, so you can swap the windows files around to a different SSD/HDD whenever you want as long as you use the same Motherboard with it. Install windows on your hdd until you get the new SSD. When you do, back up your files, then do a reinstall of windows, and choose the SSD as the boot drive in the BIOS.

Solution