Short question about Win 10 Home updates

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014
Is it true that on Windows 10 Home you cannot make changes to how the Windows Update works? Is it true that I can`t disable forced driver updates and other sh*t ?

If yes, I will go for the Pro edition...

Solution
you'll notice that link tells you a round about way to do this, not a "do nothing" setting in the updates menu like was available in Windows 7. All that setting really does is delay the updates until they become so critical that Windows ignores the settings and installs them anyways.

Other than the Long-Term edition there is no factory default setting that will permanently delay updates. The best you can do, short of just unplugging the internet, is turn on 'metered' mode and Windows will spare you updates to persevere your limited bandwidth up to a point. If Microsoft releases a zero day patch that is actively being exploited you can bet your butt it will install no matter what you clicked.
Neither Home nor Pro allow users to disable updates. Only Long-Term Legacy Windows sold to enterprise customers allows this function, for obvious reasons.

The days of people running Windows computers that are missing 3 years of updates because they turned it off are over.

Milheim

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
I can't speak for the Home version, but in my Pro version I was able to disable automatic updates in gpedit.msc. This is the link I used as reference: http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Milheim

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
I like to get updates, but on my terms, so I have Windows notify me when they're available and I'll download/install them if I'm not doing anything else. I like having the latest and greatest, so I don't put them off for more than a day usually.

CROcodile20

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

What? The guys above and below you said that its possible.

Let me get this clear. Disabling Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update is possible in Pro edition ? : http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

you'll notice that link tells you a round about way to do this, not a "do nothing" setting in the updates menu like was available in Windows 7. All that setting really does is delay the updates until they become so critical that Windows ignores the settings and installs them anyways.

Other than the Long-Term edition there is no factory default setting that will permanently delay updates. The best you can do, short of just unplugging the internet, is turn on 'metered' mode and Windows will spare you updates to persevere your limited bandwidth up to a point. If Microsoft releases a zero day patch that is actively being exploited you can bet your butt it will install no matter what you clicked.

Solution