PC keeps rebooting while playing games

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
hi everyone, im hoping someone can help me find a solution to my problem.

Here is my System:
CPU: I5 2500K
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
GPU: MSI 980TI
PSU: OCZ ZT series 750 PSU
RAM: 2X 4GB Kingston hyper blue 1333
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 128 GB (OS drive)
HDD: samsung 1TB, WD black 1TB both are 7200 RPM
Cooler: CM 212 EVO
Case: Rosewill Blackhawk

when im playing certain games, my pc will randomly reboot. no BSOD, no warning, nothing.
iv'e done the following to try and discover and troubleshoot the issue

-Monitored GPU & CPU temps: stays stable, happens at many different temps, but nothing high, roughly 55C or so

-disabled all overclocks: set my CPU back to normal profile and disabled GPU settings back to default

-Updated video drivers: Currently have 361.75, problem persisted on older version as well

-ran memory test: no errors found

-performed GPU stress test: never rebooted, did this for an hour

The games ive had this happen to are: borderlands 2, Firefall & GTA V (single player)

-I checked my logs and i seem to have a Kernel-power event 41 error happening.

please help, i would like to avoid wiping my system and starting over, this is my last attempt before i go this route

thank you

Solution
Probably just a bad PSU. GPU stress only deals with steady state power consumption, not the 10A+ transients that can happen with some games. Try underclocking your card but setting it to "prefer maximum performance" and see if it helps. If it does, time to get a reasonable tier 1 PSU like the EVGA 650/750 G2 or the Seasonic 660/760XP2
Probably just a bad PSU. GPU stress only deals with steady state power consumption, not the 10A+ transients that can happen with some games. Try underclocking your card but setting it to "prefer maximum performance" and see if it helps. If it does, time to get a reasonable tier 1 PSU like the EVGA 650/750 G2 or the Seasonic 660/760XP2

Solution

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

I tried setting the GPU to prefer performance in the control panel and underclocked slightly as you suggested. Borderlands had the computer reboot within a minute of running around. It made the problem far worse. I then tried keeping default clock speeds and had the same issue. tried setting it to quality and got a good 15 minutes in before a reboot.

What do you think it means?

No,no,no, I meant "prefer maximum performance" in the advanced menu! If you want to try again, you can do that and set a recent AAA game with max settings and triple buffering to see if it lasts. Frame rates should be garbage, but that's exactly what we want to see. If real 100% use in games means less failure, it's a transient response issue.

But it basically what you said confirmed the issue, most likely your PSU is crapping out on you.

weedn

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012

looks like your right. i underclocked and went with normal gpu settings. i played borderlands for an hour and a half with no issue. thank you for your help. guess I know what im using some of my tax returns for.