My HDD is shown as SSD - how can I troubleshoot this issue?

bvella1

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
After an HDD crash and re-instalment of Windows 10 home Ver 1511.
I noticed that Optimisation is not available on both drives because the HDD is now marked as Solid State Drive (SSD) - What can I do to change this HDD of 2Tb (now shown as SSD) to show again as it was an HDD. In BIOS it is marked as RAID - but I don't think I can change BIOS?
I do not want to reformat - re-partition etc and start from scratch. What can I do - PC is working OK
but I cannot defragment my HDD.

Solution
Hey there, bvella1!

Can you please share some more details about your PC configuration?
Do you have RAID setup with those drives or you simply want to use one as a primary OS drive and the other as a secondary Data drive?
It's possible that reinstalling Windows 10 while having both HDDs connected to the motherboard has caused an OS confusion. Unfortunately, it might result in a lot of booting issues later on, so I'd advise you to re-consider the clean install and starting from scratch.

Either way, I'd suggest you start by resetting BIOS using one of the listed methods. I'd also go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and reinstall the SATA controller & chipset drivers from there, rather than letting Windows...
Hey there, bvella1!

Can you please share some more details about your PC configuration?
Do you have RAID setup with those drives or you simply want to use one as a primary OS drive and the other as a secondary Data drive?
It's possible that reinstalling Windows 10 while having both HDDs connected to the motherboard has caused an OS confusion. Unfortunately, it might result in a lot of booting issues later on, so I'd advise you to re-consider the clean install and starting from scratch.

Either way, I'd suggest you start by resetting BIOS using one of the listed methods. I'd also go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and reinstall the SATA controller & chipset drivers from there, rather than letting Windows Updates take care of them.

I'd also try using AHCI/IDE SATA mode instead of RAID because this could additionally mess up the storage configuration.

Keep me posted.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

bvella1

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013