Palm grip gaming mouse suggestion for a serious gamer

wakeboarder3780

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I am a serious gamer who plays CS:GO 3+ hours per day. Mouse history is:

• Corsair m65
    Roccat Kone
    SteelSeries Rival 300

I prefer a palm grip and have small man hands.

The corsair m65 I always felt was too "big" for me because when comfortably palming it, my pointer finger was too far away from the left click causing me to have to press down extra hard to get the click. Since this isn't acceptable in competitive gaming, I had to adapt my grip to make it work.

The Roccat kone was very also hard for me to adjust to but eventually did. While the size of this mouse was better, the shape of the mouse didn't seem to lend itself to a palm grip. It seemed more geared towards a fingertip or claw grip. While I preferred the kone over the m65, it's purely because it was smaller and my fingers naturally fell where they should be on the left click button. The actual housing of the mouse was not "palm friendly".

The SteelSeries rival 300 fit me very well ergonomically. Unfortunately it seems SteelSeries doesn't take software development very seriously because they have tons of driver issues and I was one of the pour souls hit by it. The driver couldn't even install a firmware update out of the box it just failed with a generic error message of:
"An error occurred that prevented successful completion of the firmware update"

Classy.

With the default firmware on the mouse, there are significant tracking issues. The mouse would look at the floor randomly or jerk my aim in a random direction. Bear in mind this was also with a brand new steelseries XXL mousepad. If you're a competitive gamer, clearly this isn't an acceptable situation. I returned the mouse after only using it for 3 days and am a little gun shy of steelseries brand at this point.

Question: With this history in mind, are there any other palm grip gamers out there that might be able to make a recommendation for mice that might fit my ergonomics? TIA for anyone who actually read that entire boring history.

wakeboarder3780

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions :D I went to best buy in hopes to test these out and luckily they had them both on display. The deathadder was pretty comfortable but its mouse buttons seems extremely mushy. This might be from abuse on the display model but it turned me off.

They had a razer mamba team edition (TE) right next to it and the shape fit my hand perfectly. The click buttons felt extremely precise. I could tell for tap shooting in CS:GO it was going to be really nice. It was a amazing.

Next I tried the logitech g303 daedalus and holy moly is that bad boy small! It must be for claw grips or something. Luckily, right next to it was a logitech g502. It was also super comfortable and had precise mouse buttons as well.

I proceeded to go back and forth between the mamba and the g502 for 20 mins doing about 3-4 mins each mouse until I decided the mamba fit me better. The reason for this is while i have "short" hands, they are "wide" from lifting weights and such. The mamba has a wider "butt" and the g502 was narrower. Over time of holding the g502 I felt like my hand was feeling strained from the narrow profile where with the mamba it just felt super natural.

So i got the mamba right? Nope! I picked up the box and then luckily noticed the mouse was a laser sensor. Dreams crushed. Nothing like becoming attached to the perfect ergonomics of the mamba TE and then finding out it had a laser sensor in it :( I searched online to see if razer offered an optical version of the mamba TE, no luck. Dreams crushed.

So I walked out with a g502. They way i see it, it took me at least 4 times back and forth between the logitech g502 and the mamba TE to decide on the mamba anyway so how much worse off could i be? Took it home and go figure all the drivers and firmware updated without any issues. Take note steelseries. Software development is a science. That's why there are degrees called "computer science".

That being said if razer introduces a wired mamba TE shape with an OPTICAL sensor i'll dump this mouse like yesterday's news.

Thank you for the suggestions friend!