Backing up files and restoring without windows files

BlakeB15

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
Hello. I am currently stumped on how to back up all my files, without including windows. My motherboard died earlier, so I had to get a new windows and luckily I was able to get a windows 8 Pro key. But I had Windows 10 before, so I have to do a clean install to be able to activate windows 8 and then try and back up my files. The reason I want to back up my files is because I have over 80 games and my internet is not the best, so I basically want to do a system image without copying the windows 10 onto an external hard drive.

I have already tried to clean install and then restore, but doing so (when in windows 8) reverted me back to windows 10. I am using AOMEI backupper but is there a better alternative to this that will allow me to restore without going to windows 10? Or is there a shortcut that I can do to copy all files but the windows 10 ones?

Thanks for a your help and for reading,
Blake

BlakeB15

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I have some in both. Do you think it would be worth it to try and back up other things? The only other "for sure" thing is my music (over 1200 songs). Is there any other important files/programs that I should consider?