Monitor not running at max resolution

MightyPickle

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Hello, a couple months ago I built a pc for my brother (specs: AMD 8350, 8gbs ddr3, geforce 8200gs, 500w evgaB) it was running great for a few months, just used for web browsing but it has just hit an issue where my brothers 1080p monitor is maxing at 1024x768. I have installed the latest drivers, nothing, deleted all the old ones and new ones and reinstalled the new ones in safe mode, still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Edit: just switching HDMI cables got me back up to 1326x768 or somewhere around that, going to try a dvi.

Edit 2: switching to a dvi cord completely fixed the problem

Solution
What's the make/model of the display he's using?

When you try to change the resolution... are you trying to do it from the GPU Driver or from Windows itself? Is there an option to select the optimal resolution? Does it just not take it resolution or is it not shown so you can select it?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
What's the make/model of the display he's using?

When you try to change the resolution... are you trying to do it from the GPU Driver or from Windows itself? Is there an option to select the optimal resolution? Does it just not take it resolution or is it not shown so you can select it?

Solution

MightyPickle

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
@SBMfromLA I was changing it from windows, in the monitors menu it said the optimal resolution was 1920x1080 at 60hz and what I was running it at the time (1024x768) and HDMI, switching to a dvi cord completely solved my problem.