Windows showing 4gb ram usable / 8gb .

Vl4d14

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Hey guys,i've had a problem with my ram.The memory is installed in dual Channel but bios recognize it in single Channel.Windows,also tells me that 8gb of ram are installed and only 4gb are usable

i'm using fx 6300 3.5 ghz
patriot 8gb ram 1600 mhz
asrock 980 de3/u3s3 r 2.0

im using Windows 10 64 bit

Solution
i assume you have 2 RAM sticks?
1) Try them one by one and see if they are recognized.
2) Also try using different slots, i one stick is not recognized - faulty ram slot?
3) Check mobo manual and see that you are seating the sticks in the slot pairs that are defined for dual channel. Some mobos allow seating on any slots, some others allow only slot 0 and slot 2 for example, to make a dual channel pair. Try playing with this and seat them in various slots.
4) are you on latest bios? maybe an issue like this was corrected on latest bios versions.
-s

sancho_mic

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
i assume you have 2 RAM sticks?
1) Try them one by one and see if they are recognized.
2) Also try using different slots, i one stick is not recognized - faulty ram slot?
3) Check mobo manual and see that you are seating the sticks in the slot pairs that are defined for dual channel. Some mobos allow seating on any slots, some others allow only slot 0 and slot 2 for example, to make a dual channel pair. Try playing with this and seat them in various slots.
4) are you on latest bios? maybe an issue like this was corrected on latest bios versions.
-s

Solution

Vl4d14

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
i've installed the ram on slot 2 and 4 and it worked then ive installed them back in slot 1 and 3 and i worked.I donw kno what was causing the problem.Thx anyway for the reply