Unrelated bachelor's with certs, or bachelor in IT?

Feb 3, 2016
Hi everyone, thanks for giving this a read. Really long story short, my bachelor's degree is in neuroscience and I have shifted into IT. I am nearly finished with my associates in information technology, have my net+, and have an entry level help desk job at a small company. Do I need to get a second bachelor's degree to get a really good job? I see myself working at a rather large company and some form of management in 7-10 years. The degree I'm looking at is information systems, with some finance and economics blended into it (it has quite a bit of programming which I'm okay with). Is this the correct path, or a good ROI? Extra 18k and probably 2 1/2 to 3 years to finish*. Thanks a lot for any answers, I'm just kind of confused and turned to the wonderful internet for guidance. OMZ

Solution
Good question and do not be concerned about "confusion" per se. The root of that is really in all the uncertainty that we live with.

You have, for the moment, some certainty about where you want to be in 7 - 10 years. Well within reach and possibility.

Also, you already have a good starting base with your degree and current employment.

However, since you are considering management a larger skill set will be needed.

You now have and will probably improve upon your current tech skill set.

But you will need to add writing, communication, finance, and people skills. As a manager you will deal with proposal writing, budgets, staff evaluations, corporate politics. That would suggest (without seeing the curriculum per se) the bachelor...

Ralston18

Titan
Good question and do not be concerned about "confusion" per se. The root of that is really in all the uncertainty that we live with.

You have, for the moment, some certainty about where you want to be in 7 - 10 years. Well within reach and possibility.

Also, you already have a good starting base with your degree and current employment.

However, since you are considering management a larger skill set will be needed.

You now have and will probably improve upon your current tech skill set.

But you will need to add writing, communication, finance, and people skills. As a manager you will deal with proposal writing, budgets, staff evaluations, corporate politics. That would suggest (without seeing the curriculum per se) the bachelor in IT.

Things are changing rapidly and will continue to change rapidly.

As I have stated in previous postings what really matters is your ability to convince an employer that you can do the job for which you are being considered.

Education, certifications, degrees, and experience are all good and will help you prove that point. E.g., A degree in neuroscience could lead into the IT world of artificial intelligence.

But potential employers also need to know if you are honest, reliable, a team player, will follow the rules (within reason and legallity) and not cause your boss or co-workers any undo amount of trouble.

Fortunately you are in a position (albeit entry level) to continue working, to go to school, and to round out your skill set with management courses, more certifications, a couple of job changes, etc..

Make it a habit to read trade journals, IT employment ads, visit corporate websites to keep yourself up to date on trends, requirements, products, "best practices". Do not go chasing the latest fads and gimmicks but be aware of them and what is and is not really meaningful. Be patient.

Pay attention to what is going on around you. Develop a "thick skin" as they say and sometimes just let things go. Not all battles will be won.

Many of us have made several career changes, big and small. Expect to do the same one way or another.

Not an easy path. Not for anyone or for any career path. Still your goal is quite doable if you are willing to work, to watch, and to listen.

Do not get consumed by it all. Make time for yourself, your family, and your friends. Stay out of trouble and be ready for change and to change.

Solution
Feb 3, 2016
Wow, I sincerely appreciate your answer. I really do want to be as well rounded as possible, so the degree now seems like the obvious choice. Thanks again, that was the type of response I was looking for.