BSOD Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but works perfectly fine after reboot

Devildog8teen

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Over the course of about a month and a half I've been getting these BSODs that state driver irql not less or equal (netio.sys) and also sometimes page fault in non paged area. the weird thing is that after 5 mins the system crashes however after I reboot the system works perfectly fine. I've been hearing a lot of reports online that the crashing has to do with faulty drivers, and i noticed that my wireless adapter (Asus pce ac68) was not working properly according to device manager I new it was faulty drivers so I took it into my local computer shop and the next day they had it fixed. However the problem has not been fixed. I still get the BSODs and apparently antivirus software is partly to blame. could Norton 360 (the antivirus software that i use) be responsible for all these crashes?

Thanks guys

joex444

Distinguished
netio.sys seems to commonly be an nVidia thing, but this card uses a Broadcom chip so that's a little interesting. It's possible that Norton sees some sort of weird access pattern in the driver and causes the driver to crash, but it would be rather unusual. Still, Norton isn't exactly good so I'd encourage you to disable it and see if the BSODs stop. Network drivers causing BSODs is not uncommon at all, however, so getting the drivers correctly installed is your best bet.

I'm assuming that the OS was installed on that machine. That is, you didn't pull a drive with Windows on it from another machine and put it in this one. And you didn't replace the board or CPU since installing that OS. Have you ever had another WiFi card, maybe upgraded from another one? It could be that the previous driver wasn't uninstalled correctly and/or this one never installed properly or is picking up a dependency that's not correct. The easiest way out of that is reinstalling the OS.