Possible monitor issue

Figfusion

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014
Hello, I just wanted to get some opinions before I spent any money replacing anything. For the past 3 months I've had an issue where when I'm playing games my monitor will turn off and then turn back on. The lights on the bottom flash off, screen goes black and then it turns back on. It didn't bother me much before because I was just playing WoW, it would happen maybe once or twice per session.

Recently though I've gotten back into Skyrim and the problem seems much worse. Sometimes it won't happen or at least not much, and the other times the monitor will turn off and on every 30 seconds or so. Again, this only happens when playing games and nothing else seems to happen. I can still control the game while the monitor turns back on, still have audio, nothing crashes or freezes.

I do have another monitor and hooked it up this morning, I played for about 45 mins with no issue. However, maybe I was just lucky and it didn't happen at that time. I've tried using HDMI and it still occurs. I've used a different power cable, re-seated the graphics card and checked all connections and cables. Nvidia drivers are up to date.

Monitor is a Samsung P2770
GPU: EVGA gtx 970 FTW ACX
Windows 10 64 bit
I5 3570k
8GB memory

I ran hardware monitor while playing this morning until the monitor started turning off. Everything seemed within normal range. CPU had a max of 63c , GPU had a max of 76c and 78% memory usage. So I guess the question is, monitor or graphics card?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks.

Solution
my 24" Samsung only has 1 circuit board compared to your 2 boards; video controller & power board as mine uses a power adapter. after fixing a few lcd monitors besides my Samsung 19" frankenstein plus psu's & motherboards, I can sometimes recognize the signs of a bad capacitor. after checking to see what a new logic board would cost($80 plus shipping), I replaced 2 of 4 can shaped capacitors & haven't had a problem since. this monitor I got free from a customer who ended up buying a new 1 so just cost me my time & 2 caps.

Figfusion

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Nah, it's not under warranty. Bought it probably about 5 years ago now. I was gaming for about an hour and 45 mins on my old HP monitor last night without issue. So I'm guessing it really is just something wrong with the monitor. Going to hook them both up soon and see if they both go off or is just the Samsung still does. Then I guess I'll know the answer.

Oh and how did you end up fixing yours ffg7?

my 24" Samsung only has 1 circuit board compared to your 2 boards; video controller & power board as mine uses a power adapter. after fixing a few lcd monitors besides my Samsung 19" frankenstein plus psu's & motherboards, I can sometimes recognize the signs of a bad capacitor. after checking to see what a new logic board would cost($80 plus shipping), I replaced 2 of 4 can shaped capacitors & haven't had a problem since. this monitor I got free from a customer who ended up buying a new 1 so just cost me my time & 2 caps.

Solution

Figfusion

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

So would you say it's a pretty safe bet it's a monitor issue and not the graphics card? That's what is confusing for me, I figured if the monitor was going bad that it should happen other times as well, instead of only when gaming.

Figfusion

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Yup, all the menu lights and power light turn off, then turn back on. No "lost signal" message or anything, it happens just like it would if you turned it off and turned it back on yourself.

that was what was going on with this Samsung & as it does not appear to happen to the hp then it is not your videocard. try the Samsung on another computer to play similar games to see if problem still happens which I think it will. as the power light turns off too then problem points to the power board.

Figfusion

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Yea, as soon as I get some free time tonight I'm going to hook it up to another desktop and play WoW a bit. I just tried running around in game and while 2-3 months ago it was only happening 1-2 times per session, within 5 minutes of running around in game the monitor was turning off and back on. So whatever the issue is, it's getting worse. I'll update in a bit once I try it out on another system.

Figfusion

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

It is indeed the monitor. Just got back from trying it on a different system. It took a bit longer ( I guess from being unplugged) but after about 12 minutes of just walking around the game it started turning off and on again. Thanks for your time ffg7.

Figfusion

Reputable
Mar 24, 2014

Nah, that's above my experience, I build and do general troubleshooting, never soldered or anything like that. Might see if a family member wants it while it's still working when not gaming, I assume it'll eventually deteriorate to the point of turning off and on with just general use though.