Bent LGA 1151 Socket pins, advice please (Photo's included)

ForTh3Futur3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
I got this Motherboard for about 65 dollars, the original owner was a first time builder and somehow managed to bend some cpu socket pins. Looking at it, it didn't look to bad, but seeing as the only 1151 chip I have laying around is an i7 6700 I don't want to risk frying the chip to test the board. So I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me if this board is in usable condition or if not, then would setting the pins back be possible?
gmxuTBo.jpg

W6rYyNS.jpg

FZLOlb8.jpg

Thank you for your time!

You could try bending them back in place with a fine pair of tweezers, or the tip of a mechanical pencil (with no lead installed). Looks like the previous owner went overboard with the thermal paste also. May not be a problem, unless it is on some of the pins-I can't really tell from the photos.

ForTh3Futur3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016
Thank you sir! Between the advice and this video I have faith that the mother board will work. Just finished working on it. One pin though is oddly twisted still, but I have it high enough to where it shouldn't have an issue making contact properly. Gonna wait for the morning to give it a test run, will post my results! (Nagging wife syndrome lol) Have a great night guys and thanks again!

SkyMembrane

Honorable
Dec 23, 2015
Omg... what kind of careless id**t does it take to bend pins LIKE THAT?

General Rule #1 of computer building : If it's not RAM, you shouldn't have to use force to fit a part.

Honestly, accidentally bending pins? Sure, can happen. But there's that one pin, clearly visible in the middle of the first photo, and it's bent in a way I had never seen before.

*Rant over* Btw, it's really nice of you to try and save it, and I wish you the best of luck in fixing it man!

-Sky

ForTh3Futur3

Reputable
Feb 4, 2016

Lol I hear you, I was a bit shocked when I saw that pin too. 19 year old collage kid at stetson university doing a first time build. I made a little money off of him because of what he did and got the board for well under what it retails for so i'm not to frazzled if it doesn't work. getting ready to bench test it here shortly (wifes getting ready to leave for the day! woohoo dork time!) If it doesn't work it's a decent enough board that I'll just send it to the manufacturer and pay them to drop a new socket on it. Thankfully he didn't know that they offer those services (he only read online about how a company wouldn't RMA a board over bent pins lol) So he didn't contact any customer service about it. Win win for me and his system is up and running smoothly now. My 4tb Seagate SSHD hybrid came in last night, can't wait to see how these things do! Have a great day guys. Thanks for everyone's time and input!

XiIent

Reputable
Jan 21, 2016
I bought a new mobo AsRock b150m combo-g and the pins were bent from factory...and the warranty did not cover that...