AOC G2460PQU 144hz mode looks the worse than 60hz mode

Sir_Herbert

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
My problem started a month back without me realizing. I ordered the monitor on December 29th 2015. When I received the monitor I hooked it up to my gpu and set the refresh rate to 144hz. I was instantly let down. I thought to myself, "hey, this 144hz stuff isn't as dramatic and noticeable as people made it out to be. Oh well." When scrolling through text it didn't remain crisp like people said it would. It didn't seem like the mouse cursor was a hovering image and not moving pixels. Dragging windows around wasn't extremely fluid. But I figured that was just what it was like, not as dramatic of difference from 60hz as people made it out to be. The gaming though. That was another story. You see, I was used to gaming on a cheap laptop, so when I bought the monitor to use with my newly built desktop, gaming seemed fluid and responsive, probably because I was used to 30fps constant on the laptop. My game, Windows, and Nvidia Control Panel all said 144hz, but it didn't feel like that outside of the game.

The problem happened earlier this week. I had just made a window smaller and was dragging it around to open something else and it seemed very choppy. I didn't think much of it because I had seen that I need to update my gpu drivers anyway. So, I updated the gpu and I was still having the problem, although much less prominent, the movement didn't seem too smooth. I began to want to know what was up so I googled "144hz monitor seems choppy." The results did not make me a very happy person. I saw 2 articles pop up right away about my same exact monitor. They both said how their monitors ended up being defective and capped at 60hz even though different programs told them they were displaying 144hz. I thought to myself, "hey, I thought the same thing when I got my monitor." I then decided to read the 1 star Amazon reviews for the monitor. All of the latest reviews are from within about a month of when I purchased mine and they all say the same thing. Faulty monitor, doesn't display 144hz, defective, etc. All of the reviews say that the monitors aren't displaying true 144hz. I ordered mine around the same time as the people who wrote the reviews, which leads me to believe that mine is part of the defective batch.

There are other reasons that make me suspicious of its true refresh rate. They are as follows:

1. There is extremely visible ghosting happening when moving the cursor or windows

2. Text is not crisp when scrolling through a page

3. An option called overdrive (i believe it has to do with ghosting) is supposed to be disabled when I am running 144hz, yet I can still change the setting

4. An online test by the Blur Busters leads me to believe that my monitor is not running at 144hz. The test is a bunch of black rectangles and some of them strobe white. You are supposed to take a picture of the screen and if you see a line of white rectangles you are above 60hz, if you see a broken line, you are at 60hz. Guess what, I saw the broken line. Check it out for yourself here: http://goo.gl/qcPJ2e

5. I am experiencing the same problem as people who recently bought the monitor.

There are also some reasons which leads me to believe that I am running full 144hz. They are as follows:

1. Every single program I use reports 144hz. Windows and Nvidia Control Panel say it is 144hz.

2. When in the monitor's OSD it says the vertical frequency is 144hz

3. Even the online frame skipping test I used tells me I am at 144hz

This is my first time dealing with 144hz monitors, so honestly I really don't know exactly what I am supposed to be looking for. Everybody on the internet says you'll never go back to 60hz and that it is the greatest thing ever, but honestly, I am just not seeing a difference. I paid good money for the monitor and I want it to be performing at its rated refresh rate. I would appreciate the feedback and advice that you guys have on the matter, because the people at AOC weren't very helpful and they claim that monitors can't cap at 60hz, yada yada yada. I will link the Amazon reviews and 2 other articles about the AOC G2460PQU below. Thanks for reading this massive text wall.

Amazon - http://goo.gl/Y8mtci
Reddit - https://goo.gl/YwRGGc
Tom's Hardware - http://goo.gl/JgXF5m

And yes, before anyone asks, I am using a Dual-Link DVI cable attached to my gpu and monitor.

Sir_Herbert

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015

It didn't really come with drivers. Just an ICC profile

xshironiko

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Yeah I tried many solutions but it 1000% FEELS LIKE FKIN 60HZ cause I know how 144hz smooth is ( I recently tried another 144hz and totally different ) Fk this monitor, I can't refund because I realized too late