Is my CRT monitor Dying? Dangerous?

G

I just brought back my CRT monitor from the garage after months of being out there. Prior to that it worked great, but since it's been back I've been noticing something weird. While the monitors on, it will frequently make a pop/zap sound and the screen flickers to it very quickly. And less commonly it will do this thing where it refreshes to a darkly discolored and distorted screen (rainbow style). The first time and ONLY that time, I felt like I smelt the heat from the monitor which is where I taught myself if I just turn off then on the monitor it will be completely normal again. Though I've also had it happen very rarely when starting certain programs etc.

I'm paranoid that this monitor may be dangerous to use, that maybe it will start a fire if I continue to use it long enough. I brought it back in to try out programs to get 15khz resultions to accurately display my retro game emulators but I think that may be a bad idea with this going on.

If anybody is familiar with this, does it indeed make it dangerous to keep using. Please give me information and advice! Thank you

G

Yeah, I forgot to mention the garage does get super cold over night if that may be a cause. Also, I think it's been somewhere about 1-3 weeks since its been inside being used.

TRENDING THREADS