New monitor - 2560x1440 or 144Hz?

dogepc

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
So I'm gonna be getting a new 980 Ti in about a week or so, and I'm also going to get a new monitor (currently have a 60hz 1920x1080 monitor), but I'm really not sure what to get, I know that a higher HZ will provide a much smoother experience with a 980 ti in almost all games, but I also know that 2K looks pretty awesome, also I understand that there are a few 2K + 144Hz monitors but honestly after getting a 980 Ti its gonna be hard to afford such a pricey monitor, so I hope you guys can help me decide on what to get, a specific monitor could also be nice :), thanks in advance.

P.S. I play games such as Tomb Raider, CS:GO, WoW and Rainbow6 if thats of any help.

Solution
Can you maybe wait to get a 2k 144Hz Gsync monitor? Will be worth the wait instead of buying another monitor now that you certainly wont be as happy with considering tear vs/or input lag.

980Ti is a decent card but 2k is bit of an effort in modern games with high settings. FPS will definitely be over 60fps in most games to date but Vsync would have to be used to reduce screen tear being over 60Hz output on a 60Hz monitor quite often with 980Ti. There aren't any 1440p 60Hz monitors available with Gsync to my knowledge, only 4k monitors for the moment.

To get the most out of a 1440p monitor or any monitor today for that matter i believe is to consider Gsync/Freesync, Gsync for Nvidia. Their variable refresh rate methods do help to...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Can you maybe wait to get a 2k 144Hz Gsync monitor? Will be worth the wait instead of buying another monitor now that you certainly wont be as happy with considering tear vs/or input lag.

980Ti is a decent card but 2k is bit of an effort in modern games with high settings. FPS will definitely be over 60fps in most games to date but Vsync would have to be used to reduce screen tear being over 60Hz output on a 60Hz monitor quite often with 980Ti. There aren't any 1440p 60Hz monitors available with Gsync to my knowledge, only 4k monitors for the moment.

To get the most out of a 1440p monitor or any monitor today for that matter i believe is to consider Gsync/Freesync, Gsync for Nvidia. Their variable refresh rate methods do help to smooth out frame fluctuations and reduce tearing and input lag a considerable amount without the need to ever using Vsync.

27" is also a nice size where you'll find 1440p.

Acer XB270HU 1440p 144hz IPS Gsync i have and happy with. Depending on game sometimes i run in 1440p or 1080p depending on looks/fps desire while still looking great at either res included with Gsync regardless of res, it's made my gaming experience all the more flexible knowing i can do that without consequence of tear or input lag.

Solution

dogepc

Reputable
Aug 20, 2014
I see! Thank you for your answers so far guys. Anyway, I seem to have found a pretty nice monitor for my gaming needs - Asus MG279Q 27', it's a 1440p IPS, 144Hz monitor which somewhat fits my budget, and although it only supports FreeSync which I wont be able to make use of with a 980 Ti, the high refresh rate should fix most of the screen tearing anyway as I'm gonna have high fps in most games. Once again, thank you for your answers.