Connecting the CM K350 Case Fan to the MB won't bootup PC

Lendariod

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
I'm using the CM K350 Case Fan right now but it is connected only to the PSU.
When I connect it also to the motherboard and press the button to start.
It starts but after 1~2 seconds the pc just goes off.
It shouldn't have something to do with the PSU since it is 600W 80+ Bronze and my build doesn't even reach 250W(and the fan works when only connected to the PSU).
My motherboard is F2M85-V PRO.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I suspect the fan supplied with your case has wires to it with TWO connectors. One is about ¾" wide with 4 pins in a straight line inside a shroud. That is a male 4-pin Molex connector to be plugged into a mating power output connector from the PSU. The other is a much smaller one with 3 holes that mates with a mobo SYS_FAN port male connector.

IMPORTANT POINT: you are NOT supposed to connect BOTH of those!! Connect the Molex to the PSU if you want that fan to run at full speed all the time. OR connect the smaller one to a mobo SYS_FAN port if you want it to be under automatic control. BUT do NOT plug both in. Doing that will feed power from the PSU back into the mobo fan port, possibly damaging the port or more!! When you do that the mobo experiences a short circuit and shuts itself down to prevent permanent damage.

Now, important other note. I suspect - but you need to look carefully to verify - that the fan involved here is a 3-pin style. That is, the smaller connector has only 3 holes in it and has three wires from connector to fan motor - Black, Red and Yellow. If that is correct, this is a 3-pin fan that requires Voltage Control Mode for automatic speed control by the mobo. This fan type can NOT be controlled by a mobo true 4-pin fan port. I can be controlled by a 3-pin SYS_FAN port. It also can be controlled by a mobo port with 4 pins ONLY if the port can be configured in BIOS Setup to operate in Voltage Control Mode. If neither of those is available to you, the 3-pin fan on a 4-pin port will only run at full speed all the time. Thus, there is no point in plugging it into a 4-pin SYS_FAN port, and you should unplug from there and just use the direct connection to the PSU via the larger Molex connector.

Lendariod

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
omg so I suppose I'm lucky that it didn't f*** up my whole system right?Well thanks for the information, tomorrow I'll unmount my pc and try connecting the fan only to the MB, but I don't have any sys_fan I only have cha_fan which is a 4-pin port, I don't remember the fan pins but I think it was 4 also because the idea that I have of it is that it fited on it like a glove.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, CHA_FAN is just a different label for the same thing as SYS_FAN. It has become quite common these days for mobo fan ports to be 4-pin, but there are other options. Post here exactly what make and model of mobo you have and we can look up its manual for detailed info.

Again, examine closely the wires coming out of your fan, especially the ones that lead to the smaller fan connector. Are there three? Black, Red and Yellow? Or 2? Or 4? I'm guessing that there are three. I am guessing also that, IF you can see it, the other larger connector (4-pin Molex) has only two wires to it, and they are Black and Yellow and join the other connector's wiring with Yellow from Molex connected to Red from the smaller fan connector.

With details of the fan wires and the exact mobo, we can tell you how best to connect things.