Windows basic display driver crashes computer

gablett

Honorable
Sep 12, 2012
This just started today. I have a Radeon 7970 which is working and showing up in device manager. Just today my pc keeps crashing and won't boot unless I system restore. It shows the basic display driver isn't working. I've tried updating it and I get the sound like something new was plugged in twice and the screen freezes. I can still use my mouse but that's it. I tried Windows update which one of the updates is a graphics update and it does the same thing 2 sounds and froze screen. Even tried a 3rd party program same thing. I power off and it won't boot until till I do a restore. No idea what to even do.

Now I have also tried installing drivers straight from Intel and it crashes.

Lutfij

Titan
You seem to have both an AMD and from your above post an Intel iGPU on your system. Aside from your above related troubleshooting tactics, have you made sure your BIOS and remaining device drivers are up to date? Have you followed through with this tutorial while working with a new driver installation/upgrade?

Try and go into Safe Mode and see if the issue is persistent. It may be a conflict between both the iGPU and dedicated GPU.

Might I ask what your full system specs? Is this installation of Windows 10 off an activation key or the free upgrade path?