Is my old HP monitor compatible with my new Dell xps8700?

teddymom

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I have a Dell 8700 desktop and am using my old HP w2207h LCD monitor with it, which is 7 1/2 yrs old. The colors are really off, and there's some blur. Is my monitor compatible?

Solution

It would help to be sure. Many GT720s have an HDMI port.
HDMIport1.png

Most also have a VGA port.
vga-port.jpg

teddymom

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I'm so sorry, I have no idea what you're talking about. I know what an HDMI port is, but that's about the extent of understanding I have .... can you please explain to this novice?

kanewolf

Titan

Your Dell might have a graphics card or it might not. You would have to post a picture of your specific machine to know for sure. There are references in the user manual to each config. I don't know what YOUR config is.

Post a picture of the back of your computer -- like this one :
dell-xps-8700-special-edition-back-panel.jpg
and I can help you more.

kanewolf

Titan

It would help to be sure. Many GT720s have an HDMI port.
HDMIport1.png

Most also have a VGA port.
vga-port.jpg

Solution

shgohome

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016

Teddymom:

I have the exact same HP monitor & at first when I plugged it into the Dell 8700, it was awful & I couldn't seem to get it to work. So I plugged in my HP Computer & looked at the settings I had selected for the monitor & copied everything over to my Dell 8700. It worked great.....monitor looks exactly the way I previously set it up on my old HP. Since the monitor is large & wide, usually the resolution will be set much higher making everything too small for my liking so I changed the color & resolution.

TRENDING THREADS