RAM usage - W7 to W10

AchefXA

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Hello everybody!

I'm tempted about upgrading to Windows 10, just to mess around with Cortana (Lazy me and HALO detected), also for what I've read about AMD users getting a significant or at least noticeable performance boost.

My problem is the following, how much RAM would I have available after this?
My current rig has the following:

-AMD A6-7400K Kaveri APU
-HyperX 4GB DDR3 1886MHz RAM
-Western Digital Blue 500GB 16MB Buffer

Since I built it for gaming (Low budget but effective), I need at least 2 GB of RAM available for games like CSGO, Arma 2 OA. (Or 3GB like I currently have)

Currently using Windows 7 SP1 64bits with 3,44GB out of 4GB of RAM available for use.

From what I've seen Windows 10 64 bits requires 2GB, so that would leave me with 2GB which will be used for Steam (512MB) and then 1 1/2 GB for the games to run, that's my main worry because I ain't got money at the time to spend on an extra RAM stick (also they are really expensive in Argentina)

The question is, how much RAM will Windows 10 use finally to run and how much will it leave me to use?

Thanks in advance

Solution
I'm using 4.3 GBs of ram with about 10 tabs on chrome, visual studio (programming ide), word, access, vlc, adobe reader....you name it. You should be fine as long as you don't have too many things open at once.

theunliked

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I'm using 4.3 GBs of ram with about 10 tabs on chrome, visual studio (programming ide), word, access, vlc, adobe reader....you name it. You should be fine as long as you don't have too many things open at once.

Solution

AchefXA

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
Well, my max usage sometimes is just Steam, Trillian (For facebook chat in-game), Teamspeak and either the game open which the ram usage may be different, but will try it, if things don't go smooth I'll just wipe out the drive and revert it, been trying the 32 bit version on a VM and so far worked great, but if people who already uses the system on similar builds gives a positive review I'll give it a go