USB to VGA Adapter causing lowered fps

jbray241

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hi

I have an alienware alpha which I've been using for the past 7 months. I recently bought a 2nd monitor (exact same type as my first) to use with it. Since the alpha only has 1 hdmi port, I bought a usb 3.0 to vga adapter. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H91BRZU/ref=pe_825000_114212990_pe_635370_88603980_n_id)

However once I install the drivers for the usb to hdmi adapter, I get much lower framerates while gaming (10-30 lower depending on the game). This occurs even when the game is on the main monitor (plugged directly into the hdmi port). I've done quite a bit of searching and it seems like people have similar problems but always with the 2nd monitor or with a usb 2.0 converter.

Most of the time I just have a video playing on the second monitor, but even when I turn it off the performance is still hurting. This is baffling me because I don't understand how installing the drivers for the usb adapter can somehow affect the performance of my system as a whole.

To clarify, it is in fact lower fps, not simply a refresh issue. I've checked it with fraps. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

f-14

Distinguished
can't be certain, sounds like integrated chipset limitations. could also be incompatible video output settings to both monitors not matching. like installing memory chips of different speeds things get put on setting to the lowest compatible option. could be a driver limitation or known/unknown bug

jbray241

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

Kind of disappointing but it makes sense I guess. Would you happen to know any alternative solutions or would getting something with more HDMI ports be the only option?