Recovery (D:) drive is red and full.

vlmnz

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I have an HP laptop with Windows 10. Earlier today I was playing around with the Backup settings and it started backing up. But then it popped up a box saying there wasnt enough space so I cancelled it.
Now when I click on the This PC link, it shows my Recovery drive in red and it only has 13mb free space. I also keep getting a pop up saying its too full to back up.
How can I fix this please?

Solution

Nothing you do aside from getting another hard disk will fix it. For now, just disable backups because they are pointless . Unless you have a second disk, backups will only protect against user error, not hardware failure.

vlmnz

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Thank you, I realise its not supposed to be for backups and I didnt actually mean to set it doing so. But I did and now I need to fix it, as I am constantly getting pops ups telling me the partition is too full.
I have ordered an external hard drive to create a new back up on but I probably wont get it for a few weeks.
In the mean time, how can I stop the constant pop ups. How can I free up space on that partition? I have tried compressing it, which made it so it now has 80mb free space, but thats not enough to stop the pop ups. I dont want to format it until I have the external hard drive.
Is there anything I can do? Can I just make the partition bigger to give it more space?

Nothing you do aside from getting another hard disk will fix it. For now, just disable backups because they are pointless . Unless you have a second disk, backups will only protect against user error, not hardware failure.

Solution