Windows 10 sound and video stuttering

Oleksandr

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 I started to observe random sound stuttering while playing any audio (YouTube, music player, etc.) and even video stuttering while I play games. The sound stutterings are very short (less than 0.5 second) and occur every 15-25 minutes. I expect that this problem is not related to hardware (as it appeared after an OS update), and should not be related to sound drivers, cause I observe stuttering on all of my audio devices (on-board audio, usb-audio, and HDMI audio from my graphics card). I launched Latency Monitor, if this information can help:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/iCgof.png

My specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5
Memory: 2x8GB of HyperX Fury
Video card: GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1 Gaming)
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K (4.4GHz overclocked)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Hard drive: 2xWD Blue 1TB (no RAIDs)
Network Adapter: Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
PSU: Chieftec Nitro II 650 Watt
This bug is very annoying, especially when I listen to music or play guitar through my audio card.

Lutfij

Titan
How are you connected to the internet, using the Ethernet port or a wireless adapter? Windows 10 is known to go belly up with hardware from Realtek and Broacom/Qualcomm/Killer and it's not the hardware's fault. The issue stems from the drivers that are necessary for the device to communicate with the OS and vice versa.

Are you sure your BIOS and remaining device drivers are up to date?

You could try and disable the Killer device in BIOS and see if any progress is made whilst running the latest audio drivers under and elevated command/Administrator mode while another suggestion is to try and disable the automatic device driver update feature. Sadly the issue with audio stuttering, screeching as well a non functional audio output is all documented on the www for users running off Realtek's onboard audio chip solutions. Only work around, hope a driver update fixes it, or to roll back to previous working OS and driver combo.

Video stuttering on the other hand require you to revert to a previous known stable driver or have the latest drivers installed. Follow this guide to move forward.

* I'd look for a replacement to that Chieftec PSU unit.

bernard boateng_1

Commendable
Jun 18, 2016
I had the same problem. It happened to be my storage controller in device manager. The latest update was causing issues. So I rolled back to a later update and everything was OK. I recommend DPC latency checker to check for the audio interference. ..while disabling and enabling all essential drivers . If u disable a driver and the dpc monitor doesn't show tall red bars, then it must be that driver causing the issue. Hope this helps.