Computer locks up/freezes when idle

ninjewx

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Specs:

Skylake i7 6700k @ stock
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-UD5 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - WITH LATEST BIOS DRIVERS
16gb DDR4 hyperx ram @ stock
750w EVGA semi-modular psu
nVidia gtx 970 @ stock

I have a fresh install of Windows 10 with this brand new build. The computer is perfect even with 5-6 hour gaming marathons. However, when left idle for more than 30-45min, when I come back to my computer it is completely frozen. My keyboard and mouse are frozen and I have to hard reset it using the button on the case. This ONLY happens when idle, never when the PC is in use. I have updated BIOS drivers to the latest ones. Could this be bad ram? Bad CPU?

Edit: temps at idle at ~19-24 Celsius.

ninjewx

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

I have it set to never sleep. Hibernate is not an option.

Phurigigs

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Yeah having similar issue. The fans and lights will flash on and then it's all dead again. Headset and mouse light up but keyboard does not. Just had a Windows 10 update last night and told it to restart after it was done downloading. Didn't stay up went ahead to bed. Got up next day and it will not turn on. Just the lights and fans will flash on and back off. Hard power off and back on and then power button, same result. Removed battery and unplugged computer for several minutes and put battery back in and plugged it back in, same result. Heard of people thinking it was a PSU problem and getting a new PSU and still not solving the problem. Everything I have looked up also tells you what to do after you get it to turn on but I can't even get it to turn on.

asdgw

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2014

Simple fix. Format that rubbish windows 10 and install windows 8.