Brand new laptop - No programs running - Memory Usage is at 95% of the 8GB of RAM - Task List shows no major processes. Help!

neszero

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
I purchased a brand new laptop about a month ago. (Lenovo, intel core i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 10.) I have not installed anything on it, or even transferred my files to it yet. Almost immediately after starting to use it, simple desktop or web browsing was extremely lagged. Like, it takes 10+ seconds to open My Documents; cursor lag, etc... I thought maybe Lenovo bloatware could be the issue (because why else would a brand new machine behave this way?), so I removed any unnecessary pre-installed programs, but alas, the problem persists. Looking at the task manager processes and performance, it shows a whopping 95% of my RAM being consumed, but all of the processes are only using around 20MB or less. What on earth is using up all of my memory, and why is this happening on a brand new machine? I've exhaustively searched for solutions on the web, and nothing I've found has offered any insight as to how to remedy this. Can someone please offer me some guidance as to how I can identify whatever is leeching off of my memory and eliminate it?

Hi,

This has been a known glitch with Windows 10. Do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by running Windows Update and install all updates available.
- After installing all the updates available do reboot your laptop and observe it again.
- If these doesn't work you may just need to reinstall Windows 10 itself since it's new there's nothing to loose yet.

Here's the complete guide to reinstall Windows 10:
https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/documents/ht103742

W Fallon

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
You're in the wrong area on Task Manager. Memory is not measured in %, it is measured in bits.

Go to Task Manager, Click on Memory once or twice to get the largest # on top. You'll see what's using your memory.

Maybe with the 95%, you're confusing it with CPU usage, right next to Memory tab is CPU.

Bill

neszero

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016

Hi Bill,

Thanks for responding, but in Windows 10 the memory usage is summarized in a percentage just like CPU usage. It does break it down in bits like you're suggesting, but I was referring to the overall usage total. At the time I made this post, my total Memory usage was at 95%. Please see the attached screen shots to clear up any confusion.

rxCeYCb.jpg

pMrZTZd.jpg

As you can see right now my computer is using 55% of my total memory.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What is at the top if you sort the processes tab by memory instead of CPU?

Right click the header area of processes tab and add command line so you can see what everything is related to

You can also look in performance monitor and see what is using the memory by looking on the memory tab