2nd Display stops working after displays turn off/go to sleep

Hallface

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hey all,

Little issue here I can't seem to figure out... Every time my displays turn off or go to sleep when I wake them up the 2nd one doesn't wake. Even a restart doesn't activate it (RARELY is does). However, if I unplug and plug it back in, it is detected and starts working fine. I've run the troubleshooting but that didn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

A little extra info - Both monitors are connected via DP. One display to each video card. Both video cards are detected. This is a brand new build (2 days ago). Everything is new except the HDs. Everything is updated to current drivers and updates.

Windows 10 Pro
Video Cards - 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti 3GB
Main display - Dell UltraSharp U3415W
2nd Display - Dell Gaming S2716DG

Thanks a ton in advance!

Hallface

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Thanks for the reply COLGeek. That seems to have done the trick. I needed to use a HDMI cable for the second display (Main is the 34" with a DP cable). Everything seems to be working fine. Let the displays go to sleep 2 times and they both woke up. I'll mark your answer as correct. But I was wondering if you have the time if you (or someone else) could explain to me why this is the solution? I just like to know reasons to solutions. Thanks a ton again!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you link 2 GPUs together (with SLI or CF), one GPU is the primary and the other the secondary. The primary generally controls the display(s) while the secondary is really just extra processing horsepower. Since the second display wasn't being controlled by the primary GPU, it didn't know to wake that display (very simplified explanation).

Good luck.