Need some help replacing Ubuntu w/ Windows 10

ComputerWontBoot

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Tomorrow I am going to get the "Windows 10 OEM System Builder" disk and I'm going to install it on my computer to replace Ubuntu 14.04. I've never really done anything like this before. I haven't encountered any problems (yet). But I'm not really sure what I'm doing, and I couldn't find a tutorial for this specific situation, so I'm looking for someone to pretty much just tell me what to do. I don't want to dual boot it, I only want Windows. I'm going to put all of the stuff I saved from Ubuntu on a flash drive, so you don't need to worry about that. Do I uninstall Ubuntu first? Is it as easy as putting the Windows disk in my computer and entering the BIOS? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, like I said I've never done this before. Thanks.

Solution
Since you don't need much saved and have that in hand, it's a matter of installing the new OS. Yes, it's as simple as booting the Windows installer: the install process will format the drive. Once you get past the first couple of screens, it will ask you where to install, with a screen like this:

5789d1412186697-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-a-5439d1412186697-windows-10-technical-preview-clean-install-uefi-png

Click "Drive Options (Advanced)" in the lower right and then select each partition shown and delete, then click "new" and once that's done, Next to proceed with the installation proper.
Since you don't need much saved and have that in hand, it's a matter of installing the new OS. Yes, it's as simple as booting the Windows installer: the install process will format the drive. Once you get past the first couple of screens, it will ask you where to install, with a screen like this:

5789d1412186697-windows-10-dual-boot-windows-7-windows-8-a-5439d1412186697-windows-10-technical-preview-clean-install-uefi-png

Click "Drive Options (Advanced)" in the lower right and then select each partition shown and delete, then click "new" and once that's done, Next to proceed with the installation proper.

Solution
The next thing to be aware of once Windows 10 is installed (aside from activation key) is getting the proper drivers. Windows 10 might pick up many of them out of the box since it seems this system is a couple of years old, and it should pick up others online (the new 10 is pretty aggressive about automatically getting drivers at first launch). It should also pick up the correct time within a short time after booting (Linux encodes time differently so the BIOS time will be a few hours off according to Windows). If the time doesn't correct itself you can manually set it.

Just check Device Manager once you're set up (right-click Start and select Device Manager).