Budget PC build using AMD for the first time

theimperishable

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Hi all, first time posting here. I have built my own computer systems in the past, and these have always been relatively high budget Intel/Nvidia builds.

I now need to build a budget gaming system with the potential for some possible upgrades in the future. As such, I've decided to venture into the realm of AMD. The build I have put together is below, and I was hoping for any help or assistance if there's anything I have overlooked or if there are better alternatives for around the same costs (focused primarily on the CPU, MB and GPU).

CPU: AMD FX 6300 Black Edition
MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
GPU: 4GB MSI Radeon R9 380
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance (1600MHz)
HDD: 750GB WD WD7500LPCX Blue, 2.5" HDD
Case and CPU: CiT Defender Mid Tower Case with Black Interior, 500W PSU & 120mm Blue LED Fan

This is a UK based build so I'm primarily looking on scan.co.uk. To buy all these components from that website will cost £445. I realise there are a few places I can look around to get better deals on individual components (which I will do) but this price is just for reference.

Thank in advance for any help! :)

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
For starters, you're going to need a better psu no matter what.

Secondly, if you REALLY want a build that is easily upgradable, I recommend starting with a Skylake i3. It would already outperform the 4 year old FX6300 and it offers a FAR better upgrade path since you wouldn't need a new motherboard.

What is your budget?

theimperishable

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Thanks for the response. My budget is at most £500 if it's possible.

In terms of it being easily upgradable, it's of a lesser concern over the short term, but definitely something I'd like to keep in mind. The i3 6100 Skylake is only about £10 more than the FX6300, so definitely something I could do if it's going to outperform the AMD (plus potential for upgrades to i5/i7).

What are your thoughts on the minimum spec for a PSU?

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
Here are the 4 cheapest GOOD psus I can recommend

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/antec-power-supply-tp550c,seasonic-power-supply-s12ii620bronze,super-flower-power-supply-sf550p14xehx,xfx-power-supply-p1550gts3x/

Also, 1TB hard drives are typically about the same price as the 750GB ones.